Weekly Report 19 Oct 10

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 19 Oct 10

Post by Brad » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:19 am

What is going on? The rain finally knocks off, and it turns freezing cold. Who needs Green zones and seasonal closures when the weather is like this? Talk about the best fish protection strategy ever. This week see us build towards the next full moon. That means increasing daytime high tides, but they aren't huge yet and so very fishable. Unless there is a remarkable change in the weather pattern, the estuaries are the best bet. Corio Bay and Coorooman Creek are holding some reasonable barra and King threadfin. The barra have been taking lures and the King have been in the deeper sections.

I fished Corio for a full day for whiting and only came home with a dozen, but at least the quality was good. Either I fished the wrong places, or as I suspect, they aren't in plaque proportions. When and if we get a chance to get back offshore, head east until you find the demarcation line between the fresh coming out of the river and the salt. You can't miss it. The water goes from green to blue and there will be bait and birds working along the edge. That's also where the pelagics will be hunting. Troll along the edge with either lures or large whole baits. Expect to tangle with Spanish macks, tuna, cobia and even trevally.

The wide grounds should fish OK for the usual reefies, while up north look for the grunter schools around the wrecks and rubble grounds. The water around the Keppels is pretty murky and fresh, but best chance will be the deeper reefs under the freshwater where you should get Grassy lipper.