Weekly Report 26 Oct 10

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301

Weekly Report 26 Oct 10

Post by Brad » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:34 am

Finally a bit of a break in the bad weather. Bad luck if you have a five day a week job though. The water around the Keppel Islands is still very discoloured from the rough seas and freshwater running out of the Fitzroy River. I was surprised to find the surface water temperature only 22-23 degrees around the islands. That's pretty low really, so probably no surprise the reefies are a bit doughy. However the bad news is the numbers of sharks patrolling the reefs. I lost four fish in short order to the grey suit brigade on Sunday. I didn't see and pelagics working, but out wider in the blue water is where you'll find them.

As the water in the estuaries clears towards the quarter moon, I'd expect the whiting to pick up and bream among the mangroves. Normally you'd find a few half decent grunter in Coorooman Creek this time of year, so well worth a look on the rubble beds. Last chance to hunt down a barra for three months, so you'd better make the best of the small tides this weekend. Still no reports of any crabs moving, so could be a quiet summer on the mud crab front. Not much more to report at the moment. Just keep trying.