318 Shakespeare Street
Mackay, QLD
Ph: (07) 4957 2145
www.tackleworldmackay.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 10 Nov 10

Post by Brad » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:58 pm

I've never known such an ordinary Spring. Everybody is whinging about not being able to get out fishing. At least the reef spawning closure hasn't had much of a negative impact this year - no one's been out anyway. I've looked ahead at the four day map and there just might be a little window of opportunity somewhere next weekend with any luck. Fingers crossed. The water along the coast is very dirty due to the bug tides and choppy conditions and will take a few days of quiet weather to settle a bit. If we do get an opportunity, I'd be heading up north on the small tides in search of grunter around the wrecks and rubble grounds - it's that time of year. The water around the islands is still very green from the river flow and there are sharks taking any pan-sized fish you might be lucky enough to find.

If you know Coorooman Creek, should be worth a look for a fingermark on livies after dark. We haven't had a lot of rain locally, so Waterpark shouldn't be running too much. That would make the deeper holes downstream from the boat ramp a possibility for King and grunter. Further downstream in Corio Bay, there were some very good quality whiting around a few weeks ago if you can find them. My crabbing mates tell me there are no muddies anywhere, even up around Stanage Bay. I guess they had to run out sooner or later. Looks like we're going to keep doing it tough for a bit longer yet.