Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 5 Jan 11

Post by Brad » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:56 pm

Happy new year!
What do you say in a weekly fishing report from an area experiencing massive flooding? Not very much is the obvious answer. The only possibility of catching a fish is to head way offshore, but that is a pretty dangerous adventure right now cause of the flood debris in the ocean. Keppel Bay will be full of nearly submerged trees and other rubbish, so you will be taking a large risk in roaring across the bay to the wide grounds. And there is absolutely no way I would be moving around after dark unless I was in an ice-breaker. I tried Waterpark Creek and Corio the other day to find it drinkable right down into the bay proper. Even the prawns have vacated the creek. So I won't be rushing back up there for a while either.

I can't see any significant improvement now for at least a month, if not longer. This is similar to what happened back in 1991 and fishing was very quiet for six months after that flood. And we haven't even reached the normally wettest months yet, so look out! I think a lot of the shallower water coral around the Keppel Islands will be badly damaged from this current flood, because the fresh has been around for so long - it started back in October and hasn't let up. Good time to rebuild your boat trailer if that is a need and service all your gear twice over. I don't see a lot of point in trying to pretend you might catch a fish in these weekly reports for a while, so expect them to be very short or missing altogether until things start to pick up.

barrayak

Re: Weekly Report 5 Jan 11

Post by barrayak » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:05 pm

G'day, Just wondering if iron pot/Bluff rock would be 'ok' for fishing, also is Coorooman creek worth fishing in?