Weekly Report 25 Jan 11

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 25 Jan 11

Post by Brad » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:45 pm

I was hoping we might get a half reasonable day for Australia day on Wednesday, but that is looking pretty unlikely given cyclone Anthony cruising slowly southwards off our coast. A few days last week were quite pleasant, and those still on holidays headed offshore. Reports from out wide were generally very good, with all the usual reef species being prominent early in the week before the tides got really huge. Then the south-easterly came in and we all stayed home and did the jobs around the house. Prior to the wind arriving, the freshwater had moved east past Barren Island, so maybe the onshore winds will push it back inshore a bit? Pan-sized reefies were still taken around the deeper water close to the Keppels, but not in great quantities.

I haven't heard any solid reports from Corio or Coorooman, but I'm sure everyone is counting down the days until the opening of the barra season. Coorooman Creek will no doubt give up some nice barra during the first week of the season as will Corio, but you'll be competing with the nets up there. The Fitzroy River is back within its banks at last, but lure fishing will be out of the question due to the water still being like liquid mud. Unfortunately that won't stop the nets from taking the fish though and I'm expecting a massive influx of out of towners hitting the river this year. What a shame. This is the perfect opportunity to allow stocks to rebuild after the 2000's where they pretty much collapsed, but of course the opposite will be the case. Great resource management - NOT!

pyeman

Re: Weekly Report 25 Jan 11

Post by pyeman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:31 am

Those bloody commercial fishermen again Kim you will end up having a heart attack worring about them. Thank christ we still have a couple of them left so everybody can have a feed of fish. CHEERS

mel01

Post by mel01 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:03 pm

Kim, well same as every year whinging about pros. can you tell me if you sack us where does the seafood come from? we cannot go back to the past where you could sell your excess catch, that was the most stupid rule ever invented and i thing most people would agree.i really cannot understand why you bash us as there are app. 130 barra lic on east coast and lots more rec fishers. i dont work generally on weekends but i still got to put up with abuse on working days from fools. fair is fair i dont walk into some ones work place and abuse or wreck their tools so please show some respect for us.please dont take this as a personal attack as it is not ment as such but mate please give us a break, we may be human and just love fishing

xfisho

Post by xfisho » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:54 am

[quote="mel01"]Kim, well same as every year whinging about pros. can you tell me if you sack us where does the seafood come from? we cannot go back to the past where you could sell your excess catch, that was the most stupid rule ever invented and i thing most people would agree.i really cannot understand why you bash us as there are app. 130 barra lic on east coast and lots more rec fishers. i dont work generally on weekends but i still got to put up with abuse on working days from fools. fair is fair i dont walk into some ones work place and abuse or wreck their tools so please show some respect for us.please dont take this as a personal attack as it is not ment as such but mate please give us a break, we may be human and just love fishing[/quote]

Lol, he is on the pros this bloke hey ? It's people like this that I got out or I would've lost the plot. I joined here to see if there is a chance of getting a fish when we venture to yeppoon, (live on a property below Emerald now), and all I get is whinging about pros. All we need is a fishing report. I'm with you on that rule about selling excess catch mate, but thats the govt for ya.