318 Shakespeare Street
Mackay, QLD
Ph: (07) 4957 2145
www.tackleworldmackay.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 1 Mar 11

Post by Brad » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:01 am

Finally some decent weather - mid week of course. It is coinciding with the dark moon tides, meaning the morning highs are fairly large, but no where near what they were a fortnight ago on the full moon. There have been good quality reefies and grunter around up north, along with cobia and Doggie mackerel, so that means the water is clearing up at long last. There are a lot of bait schools east of the Keppel Islands, being pursued by big schools of mack-tuna and possibly the odd pod of long tails as well. I see no reason why you shouldn't expect to find Spanos there as well.

I haven't heard any strong reports from the estuaries, but those who work hard should be finding a feed. Apparently there are a few decent Blue salmon here and there. The river is almost back to normal tidal levels, but all the barrage gates are still open, so once the tide turns to run out, it fairly pours and fishing is pretty tough. But the live bait boys are still getting good barra in the quieter parts of the city reach on the run in tide. Make the best of it and I hope you can take a day off, as the prediction is for another burst of strong south-easterlies this coming weekend.