Weekly Report 22 Apr 11

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 22 Apr 11

Post by Brad » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:25 am

Yahoo! It's chocolate time - legitimately I mean. Interestingly, this year Easter falls smack on the quarter moon tides. That both limits and improves fishing prospects depending on which part of the fishery you are planning on pursuing over the break. Offshore, the small tides are good for bottom bouncing, but bad for pelagics. Inshore, they aren't great for beach fishing, but OK for estuaries. Looking ahead at the weather chart, it looks promising for Friday and Saturday, but then deteriorates fairly rapidly as a new big high pressure system establishes itself over Bass Strait. So I'd suggest you aim to do your serious fishing early in the weekend.

The Keppel Islands will fish well on the small tides for all the pan-sized reefies. Up north in the deeper water, try berleying and jigging for Doggie mackerel. Out wide the usual good reds will be chewing, especially in the early evening and morning. There will be wall to wall boats roaring around the estuaries that will send a clear message to the fish that it's Easter and better lay low. So it will be pretty hard going I suggest in these locations.

The fresh flow in the Fitzroy River has slowed down, albeit temporarily, as another small flood is coming down the Dawson and Comets Rivers as we speak. However over Easter it should be worth a try for a barra for sure. Stay safe, be careful on the water and enjoy the long break soaking a bait or two with the kids.