Weekly Report 14 Jun 11

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 14 Jun 11

Post by Brad » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:18 am

I'm looking at a four day chart that is predicting true winter weather for Central Queensland this coming weekend and beyond. That is when a high pressure system settles smack bang over the tropic of Capricorn. We get cold crisp mornings with a moderate SW breeze that drops right away mid morning and goes around to the ENE in the afternoon. Bring it on! Our inshore waters will clear up after a few days and the bait schools should appear. There will be Blue salmon in the Rosslyn Bay Harbour, Coorooman Creek and the front of Corio Bay. Flathead will continue to make many happy and there should be whiting around the beaches as well.

I wish I could say there will be Doggie mackerel inshore, but that is pretty unlikely. However if you really want a feed of Doggies, good sized fish are well offshore I'm told where the nets don't go. Venture north for Spanos on big baits and if you haven't already got your 10 allowed ribbonfish in the freezer, they are in fair numbers around the islands in the southern bay. Reefies around the Keppels have slowed down with the cold water temperature, but out wide in the deeper water good catches are still being made. I reckon I saw a few big snapper on the sounder around the Keppels, so if you know how to target them, go and have a try just on dusk. There are probably still some big Black jew to be caught on the back end of the moon this week.