Weekly Report 21 Jun 11

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 21 Jun 11

Post by Brad » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:56 pm

Well winter has arrived with a vengeance. I love it! The high pressure systems are moving over the centre of the continent and it's looking good for an old fashioned winter here in CQ. Black jew and grunter are still being caught up north of Yeppoon and Blue salmon are turning up in the estuaries. Out wide the reefies are chewing quite well and there are some big spanos lurking in the mid water region. I've also heard that there are patches of really big Doggies out wide as well. I had a run down into the southern part of the bay and was disappointed to find the good old mackerel netters working it over. Don't hold you breathe for any sort of inshore mackerel season this year.

Some nice whiting and flathead are being caught along the beaches and near the mouths of the creeks. Some of the larger lizards are falling to plastics. There are snapper around the Keppels, with best time late in the afternoon generally. They are a very spooky fish so anchoring is not a good way to catch them and you should use baits that don't sit on the bottom. Snapper hunt mid to surface you need to keep in mind. When you see them near the bottom on your sounder going under your boat, you've already spooked them. I reckon it would be worth looking for bream downstream from the Nerimbera boat ramp over the next month or so. They should be pushing back up river as it gets saltier.

Mak Hunter

Re: Weekly Report 21 Jun 11

Post by Mak Hunter » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:01 pm

Great Letter to the Editor in this weeks Mirror from John Baumgarten. "Rethink fishing zones" Summons up what all the locals thinks.

gar

Post by gar » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:05 am

for a start that guy is no local and also has no idea what he is talking about..i hope he didn't have a feed of fish from the causeway store because then he also is a hypocrite..hope he comes back next year with a nicer attitude

Mak Hunter

Post by Mak Hunter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:56 pm

for a start no one said the guy was a local, i meant he sums up what us local rec fisherman think