318 Shakespeare Street
Mackay, QLD
Ph: (07) 4957 2145
www.tackleworldmackay.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 7 Jul 11

Post by Brad » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:20 am

It's looking like we're going to be confined to the estuaries for a while. I can't see the winds being good enough to head too far offshore unfortunately. At least the southerlies have seen the inshore water start to clear up a bit. It's quarter moon this weekend, with the high water late in the afternoons. The low tides are just small enough though to have a bit of run which will help the fishing. I reckon you should find a few Blue salmon from daylight down to the bottom of the tide in Coorooman and Corio. They've been taking metal lures and fresh herring lately. I'd also expect to find the odd flathead hunting in the gutters. I'm probably going to have a look for whiting sometime this weekend. They don't seem to have been in any numbers, but surely they must be there somewhere? If you know your way down to Rundle's Beach, perhaps that might be where they are. Equally it could be worth the trip across to Curtis Island and around to Yellow Patch.

The Fitzroy River continues to be flushed every week with the opening of all the gates. I'm currently in discussions with Fitzroy River Water to stop this happening and in preference leave one gate open 24/7 to maintain upstream levels. This is how it's always been and still allows some salt water to push upstream underneath the surface fresh. That should see fish moving back into the city reach again within a few weeks of the change. Finally, it could be worth trying for bream off the coastal headlands. I like to fish down to the bottom of the tide and some burley in the water is a great help.

Mak Hunter

Re: Weekly Report 7 Jul 11

Post by Mak Hunter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:26 pm

Went for a fish at double heads. Trawlers Galore past us inside Iron pot and along Kemp. No chance of catching a feed there guys, Probably have to stick to the estuaries.

pyeman

Post by pyeman » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:24 pm

must not be allowed to tip bucket on recs but they can tell lies about commercials bit hypocritcal

Mak Hunter

Post by Mak Hunter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:53 pm

tip bucket on recs..hypocritical. wtf you talking about?
No lies mate, the dozen people that were out there will say the same thing.