Weekly Report 29 Jul 11

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 29 Jul 11

Post by Brad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:42 am

Looks like a boss's weekend unfortunately. 15-20 knots from the south-east. Darn! Oh well, back to the estuaries again I guess. At least there have been solid reports of lots of flathead around. They have been taking plastics with gusto, but bait is working well too. I prefer the last couple of hours of the run out tide. Look for the edges of gutters where the current is running. There are also patches here and there of real quality whiting, but you may have to work hard to find them.

Blue salmon are also around the place, with some excellent fish up around the 70 cm amongst them. They definitely like movement in the water, so work the middle of the tides. The low tides this weekend around the dark moon are pretty big, so there will be lots of water moving in and out of the creeks. That may dirty it up a bit, but that shouldn't be too bad, as last weekend I thought it was actually too clear. Inshore along the coast the onshore winds will have already murked the water up, so I doubt the headlands will produce too much. I hear there are the usual monster winter bream around the Fitzroy delta and now they should be starting to work their way upstream, so possibly it would be worth a try around Thompson's Point. Happy hunting.