Weekly Report 4 Aug 11

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 4 Aug 11

Post by Brad » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:43 am

The flammin wind is relentless. This coming weekend looks no better, but perhaps by Monday things will be starting to settle bit. The quarter moon tides are upon us again, so there won't be a lot of movement in the tides. The run out tides in the afternoon will be suitable for a fish in the estuaries. Reports coming out of Corio and Coorooman Creek indicate that flathead are still on the chew, so you should get a feed with a bit of effort. The quality of whiting is excellent, just not the numbers. I've never been a fan of neap tides for Blue Salmon, but give them a try where you find some water moving. I did hear of a few really big Blues in the 70-80cm range here and there. Hook into one of them and you'll find out if your knots are good.

It is winter bream time in the Fitzroy delta, with the Connors Creek rock bars and gravel banks over towards Curtis Island the pick of locations. There are some really big critters amongst them, so don't be afraid to use large baits. A fresh or live greenback herring lightly weighted in a berley trail will get results. If you can find good fresh prawns, I'd use them to chase King threadfin in the middle reaches of the Fitzroy River as the saltwater starts to push its way upstream. I refer the last couple of hours of the run up tide for Threadies. If you can sneak out next week, the islands should give up a feed of reefies and there may be a stray Doggie out there too.