Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Report Tues 4th Apr 06

Post by Brad » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:46 pm

4/4/06
After nearly six weeks of strong winds, last weekend turned right around and the weather settled down. That saw just about every boat capable of heading to sea, doing just that.

The results in the main were very good. The reef fish cooperated across the board, with some real quality coral trout being boated. They were supplemented by grass sweetlip, tuskfish and stripeys. Out wide the usual red emperor and red jew didn't disappoint either. There were a few decent Spanos around the Keppel’s, but it did require a bit of persistence to get the results. Wider out and up north the Spanos really turned it on. I heard of one fish going 44kg - that's 100lb on the old scale. What a whopper! It apparently took a jig - that would be a shock to the system.

The northern part of Keppel Bay was full of schools of feeding longtail tuna and quite a few fell to trolled lures. There are a lot of bait schools in the bay at present, so it should only be a matter of time before the grey mackerel find them. I reckon Easter will see the greys arrive.

The estuaries haven't really fired up yet, but I'm still predicting that the full moon at Easter will see things come good in the creeks.

This coming weekend should fire offshore if the weather holds - but that's a big ask this time of year, for two in a row.

The tides are of perfect height and times for a late afternoon visit to Coorooman Creek. Get yourself some livies and anchor up off the Timbers or the rock bars and see what happens as the sun sinks in the west. Fingermark and grunter would be the most likely target.

There are still a few crabs around, but most decent bucks have either been caught or gone to ground. Still pays to watch your pots, as the robbers have been pretty active, especially after dark.

I haven't heard any confirmed reports of fish in the city reaches of the Fitzroy, but a surprising number of decent barra were taken on lures downstream from Nerimbera. Tides this weekend are near perfect for a mid morning barra lure, so why not give that a go before the weather starts to turn cool - yeh right!

Don't forget to get your Easter chocolates.

Kim Martin

The next report will be posted around 15th April – Garry Smith

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:09 pm

Plenty of fish out wide bagged out on trout and redthroat. big spannos and yellowfin tune everywhere. out at karamea last weekend out mixed species thrown in. good reds lost to sharks 57km NE of harbour