Weekly Report 13 Jan 14

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 13 Jan 14

Post by Brad » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:49 am

Howdy all fishers from Stanage Bay, Shoalwater Bay, The Swains n Islands. Since having a yarn to you all much water has flowed under the bridges. Anything from fishing and travelling in the territory to fishing, crabbing and doing up my shop here at Stanage. Getting to the point at the moment.

The Stanage Road: We travelled it yesterday late Tuesday 7th January 2014 and it was good, no major holes, corrigation or washouts. There is a lot of dust, so if travelling with mates or following another vehicle, be sure to hold back until its clear vision in front of you.

The Boat Ramp and Parking: Remember the locals - they are fast launching and retrieving boats, so let them on the ramp before you if you are not drive on or off your trailers or not good at reversing....oops, some people are hopeless and think the ramp is only for one boat at a time...wrong. It's two lane and one holding spot to the side for experienced boaties. The parking is on the flats, angle and OFF the two lane dirt road, reverse your trailers towards the mangroves at a 45o angle if possible, bigger rigs can paralel park at just down below the coastguard headquarters. Speaking of Coastguard, we have completed and for a donation of $5 the new 2014 Info Tide, Calendars available, so when you come up, dont forget the $66 joining fee per annum for the free assist tow, as well as $5 for the tides.

The Mud Crabbing: Its been a good start to the season, with the mighty monster muddies do as they should, Shedding their carapaces / shells to become even bigger actually aprox 20 mm per shed on the full moons, then breeding, then potting. My new pots I am proud to have been part of in there creation with the 12mm bottom rings and 10mm top rings (all hot dip galvanised, unlike the cheaper counter parts ) and heavier gauge mesh, pot well. The funnels the bait and the sets all compliment each other and there is no such thing as pot luck....so dont be fooled like some and think the more pots you have the more crabs you catch...thats all old wives tales......less good crab pots, with the best fresh bait set correctly and moved daily .....if you catch a crab..move it...if you dont catch a crab...move it. Tie your ropes to the mangroves so they dont wash away. Come and see me for the best bait,( yes i do sell it) and positions etc on the day. tides, other crabbers etc change daily remember.

The Estuary: Oh yeah..thats been awesome, with the huge jew fish returning, just like in 2002 and 2003 era. Lucky there is a bag limit, thats all i can say on that. Where else can you stand at the boat ramp and watch one small boat pull in 12 x .800mm - 1mtr long fish. The usual also has been pulled in like cod, bream, fingermark and barra. On the oops side of the Barra being caught ol mate, no names, holidaying from childers with his family hooked a mtr or so long barra only to use a faulty landing net...without the much needed pic being taken...needless to say, the $35 landing net he was to tight to purchase off me (stanage bay marine & accommodation) was bought by his son. ( dad was too embarrassed to come over) The Reef and Islands: In between the wind, northerlies, and the huge tides. Outside has been on fire with good catches or r.t.e., grassy sweet lip, red emperor, with only small quantities of red jew and coral trout being pulled in and kept. Come on fellas I know you were outside fishing and catching, not realeasing too much, so share your pics with me and dont just face book or utube them, not all of us facebook or utube Stanage.

Until next time, remember Stanage Bay Marine & Accommodation NEEDS YOU to keep us here, so buy your bait, ice and Tackle including crab pots from me next time you visit....don't carry the excess load there really is no need, SBMA have exceptional bait, ice and tackle prices and real value for money accommodation. No sales = no income - no Von at Stanage...think about it....the choice is all yours.
Keep on fishing with cheers Von
Attachments
Stanage - Barras 011.JPG
photo 1.JPG
Stanage - Barras 016.JPG
image.jpeg

michaeli

Re: Weekly Report 13 Jan 14

Post by michaeli » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:39 pm

G,Day Brad,
Am trying to organize a fishing trip some time this year out your way. When do you reckon would be the best time to pay Stanage a visit?
We only have 14ft tinneys so would more than likely be just heading up the sound, we hope to spend about a week up there doing a bit of fishing & crabbing. We only get the chance to get away every now and again so we are just trying to work out the best time to go. Any feedback would be appreciated.
cheers Mick from Mackay

Brad
Reporter

Re: Weekly Report 13 Jan 14

Post by Brad » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:40 pm

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you Mick. I would suggest you call Von Ireland direct as she is the expert when it comes to Stanage Bay.
Von Ireland 07 4937 3145. Give here a call and good luck