Report 19/08/14

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 19/08/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:19 am

Again this week the fishing was just about a non-event with the wind increasing as I predicted in my last report, and there was a strong wind warning out for most of the week. So places like the Douglas Shoals, Karama Banks, Moresby Banks and Goodwin Shoals and up to Flat and Perforated Islands were not fished and even the close-in reefs and islands like Finlays Reef, Ross Reef and around the Keppel Islands were also affected by the strong winds and reports were not coming in like usual.

On a more positive note, the winds this week are not expected to be above 15knots. This should allow the reef fishermen out and hopefully they will be back with plenty of great stories to tell. Before you head out, please inform the Coast Guard of your destination and ETA of your return to port, and also check the weather at BOM and Seabreeze.

On the beach scene there were only a couple of the beaches that were able to be fished like Lammermoor and Kinka Beaches and those that did try their luck came away with a good feed of whiting and flathead for the efforts. With the wind decreasing this week all the other beaches should be able to be fished as well, and let’s hope there are still some salmon out there to be caught.

On the estuary side of things we have seen plenty of fishermen out fishing Coorooman and Corio Bay returning with a good feed of grunter and flathead, unfortunately the crabbers came back disappointed as the crabs have certainly dropped off. The two regular crabbers have reported that there are not enough crabs around and have packed their pots up for a couple of months; they have certainly had a good run and a long season.

Tides & Weather: The tides for the coming weekend are high tide around 8.00 and 8.30 with the low tide around 2.00 and 2.30 the tides are on the make as we lead into the new moon. There will be some current this weekend, it would be advisable to stay out of the main channels and stick to the side creeks like Deep creek and Sandfly in Corio Bay. If there were any crabs around they would be good tides for crabbing, so if you go up the creek take a crabpot and give it a go anyway. On the weather side, the winds are light from the west and southwest in the first part of the week around the 10-15knot mark then they go into the south, south east and only light on the weekend.

Be aware: there is still a warning out about the trawler that sank east of the Keppel islands. The approximate location is 23-09-582 south and 151-01-941 east, and this info can be found on the MSQ web site. They have 28 days to raise it.

We have been happy to see those grey nomads coming in and asking for advice, asking us what baits and what tides are the best for the fishing around here. We're always happy to give this information out, so feel free to come in and have a yarn. If you are organised and can email or phone ahead this would be even better. You can reach us at the shop in Yeppoon on 07 4930 2301 or email coucomscrabpots@gmail.com and we'll help however we can.

Great News: All you crabbers out there I have some information that will interest you: on October 24-26 there will be a crabbing competition called the CQ Crabshock Classic. It will be held here at Yeppoon, and the areas to crab will be from Coorooman Creek to Corio Bay. For the rules and guidelines and entry forms please contact me at coucomscrabpots@gmail.com and I will fill you in and arrange an entry form to be sent out. I will have more details in the coming weeks. You can now contact us through Facebook at Coucom’s Crabpots and Fishing Gear. There is also a great little pot there that needs a name.

Tip of the Week: when the moon is a quarter the tides are small and slow

Till next week keep casting, keep retrieving and keep catching those fish

From your local tackle shop in Yeppoon

Alan Coucom

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
1/13 James St, Yeppoon Qld 4703
P: 07 4930 2301
coucomscrabpots@gmail.com

Nicole Penfold
Admin

Re: Report 19/08/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:19 am

***Please do not reply to this fishing report, as the contributor does not monitor the bulletin boards. if you have a question, please contact the contributor directly on the contact details at the end of the report.***