Report 21/10/17

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 21/10/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:14 am

Well it has been a long time since the last report and there has been a lot that has happened so i am hoping this will be the start of getting back to the regular reports again. Over the past month we have received a good amount of rain and this is certainly good for the fishing and crabbing around this area with rainfall around 300mm to 400mm in some areas. With this in mind if you are planning to fish around this area please seek some local knowledge first and we will put you on the right track.

Let’s talk about the creeks and estuaries:
Around the Capricorn Coast area we have estuaries like Port Alma and the Fitzroy River Coorooman Creek, Causeway Lake, Ross Creek and Corio Bay, these are all great crabbing and fishing for fish like barramunda, king salmon, grunter(barred javlin), and the usual whiting flathead and bream. Now for details on fishing any of these areas and maps and tide charts call into the shop in Yeppoon and pickup this information and also pick our brain as we are as local as you can get with close to 60years experience of fishing around here. At the moment there are plenty of fish being caught and the great news the crabs have started to run now with some good reports coming in over the weekend.

Let’s talk about the beach fishing:
All the beaches from long beach to Farnborough and nine mile beaches can be fished with plenty of good whiting flathead and bream caught along these beaches, off the headlands we see a lot of code and mackerel and barramundi caught. At the moment there is a lot of fresh water on the beaches due to the rain but there have still been plenty of reports coming in of whiting and flathead being caught.

Let’s talk about offshore and around the islands:
Offshore fishing is certainly very popular as the boas leave from Roslyn Bay Boat Harbour and can venture to the islands on the Capricorn group on the Great Barrier Reef also some of the shoals like Douglas, Karamea and others to numerous to mention. For those that only stay within sight of land then fishing around the Kepple Island and some of the other island like Barren, Outer rock, Flat and perorated to name a few you will land a plenty of fish. Some of the locals diehard fishermen that have ventured out before the fin fish closures and even those that went out Saturday midnight reported nanny gia, red throat, and coral trout.

Let talk about crabbing:
I have fished and crabbed around here for over 50years and I rely on others to give me reports for offshore fishing as I mainly fish and crab the local creeks, at the shop we mainly sell Coucom’s Crabpots and have only just started selling some JW crabpots with a twist, we rebuild them and make them into a a crabpot even I would use, they have our split leg poly pipe legs on them, builtin bait pocket and chaffing rope around the rings to protect the net, and we have replaced the funnel ropes to a braided twine that will last a lot longer. We have also made them into a turtle friendly crabpot to meet the responsibly crabbing guidline of the Queensland fisheries.

At the moment there are a few crabs around and over the weekend there were plenty of calls to say that the crabs are plentiful but they need to be checked as there are a lot of soft shelled crabs around.
Let’s Talk about I CRAB:
I CRAB is our brand name and in conjunction with the Yeppoon Rotary club we run the I CRAB Classic to help raise funds for the Yeppoon SES and Capricorn Helicopter Rescue, I will Have the dates for the 2018 in the next report.
Now there will be a lot of you out there wondering what I CRAB is, it has been set up to teach people to crab the right way, already we are teaching student at 2 schools in this area the right way to crab and look after of crabbing for the future. We have run 2 I CRAB Classics and have given funds to Rescue helicopter, SES, and we are organising the next I CRAB Classic to be held in June 2018. If you would like to know more like us on the I CRAB facebook page and we will help you out. Monies from I CRAB products goes toward the teaching of crabbing the right way, for our kids and new comers to the sport.

till next time

Alan Coucom (AKA Crusty the Crabber)

Coucom’s Crabpots and Fishing Gear
Phone: 07 49302301
Email: coucomscrabpots@gmail.com