Weekly Report 16 Jul 10

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 16 Jul 10

Post by Brad » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:25 pm

Hi there to all fishers from Stanage Bay, Shoalwater Bay and the surrounding islands. This week has once again shown that the weather can never be predicted here at Stanage. Tony and I thought we were doing the right thing in fishing outside with some regulars of the Pacific Villa, Maree and Rod Farrow. These awesome folk are used to fishing dams inland, the weather predicted 4to 5 knotts - WRONG ! Anyway after being flogged all day and catching a minimal amount of fish we all smiled at the end of the day declaring "thats fishin". Tony and I along with other mates Noel and Louie still headed out to fish the next day, the sea was calm and the fish quiet. Tony was rewarded with a 13kg red emperor along with the usual large and small mouth red jew, Louie pulled in a horse of a cod, the kindergarden club of red emperor, a few nice sweeties and red jew and a legal red emperor, Noely, kept the moses perch, stripies, sweetlip, red jew constantly being pulled in over the side - and me, well, i just fed the huge amount of undersized red emperor, in saying that, i did pull in a few keepers - not my usual double red hook ups though. I did however catch up on all my zeds for the past month.

The muddies are slowing down with the cold snap we have just experienced, they did run a little longer than usual and what is being caught is huge and full. The fisheries and water police had a bit of fun recently, just for a change up here, and pulled up quite a lot of boaties with flares out of date, fire extinquishers and epirbs out of date, some even forgot to register their boats, they were very fair and gave out a lot of warnings however drew the line when they came across undersized fish and crabs being taken. Good on the fisheries for that as I personally have a real hatred for the taking and using undersize red emperor and cutting up for bait. Remember guys, these undersize fish are legal in time. From observation and listening to a lot of the recreational fishers the habit is to take as many undersize fish for bait to save a few dollars today, they forget about the fish in the future - no wonder the greenies are making no zone fishing spots.

I'm not going to dwell on this just make you all think a little first - i see this becoming a regular item up here: 18 mates, 6 x 6m boats, thats 3 blokes fishing on each boat day n night (yes some sleep out there) each with 2 rods in or lines of some description, all in all thats about 36 lines in the water from these 6 boats. even if half of these lines catch and undersize fish is taken then our water ways, which the locals are very protective and passionate over, is being depleted of its legal fish stocks.... each year the fishing becomes like everwhere else down south and becomes wishing. I hope that makes sense to you all, its confused me trying to relay it in words to you all. This is just an example of what Tony and I with two other mates on board take out for one days fishing - bait: 4kg IQF AUSTRALIAN PILCHARDS, 2X2.2KG USA SQUID/callamari - 1 OR 2 R.JAYZ BERLEY sometimes the mates might bring along some whiting frames, small mullet,large prawns, ribbon fish, gar, cuttlefish heads - fishing gets pretty personal especially the bait. Yes I do sell all of the above except the whiting frames. Always take a big enough fish for a floater for the mackerel or lures and rods suitable for spannos so you can have a troll when the run is too much for bottom fishing.

BITCH OF THE DAY / YEAR - WHO EVER CAUGHT AND WASTED THE HUGE GT AND HUNG THE WHOLE FISH UP ON A TREE AT THE FISH DUMP HERE AT STANAGE SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES - I SAY PLURAL AS IT WOULD HAVE TAKEN MORE THAN ONE PERSON TO DO THAT. IF THE FISH WAS TOO BUGGERED TO BE RELEASED THEN I KNOW OF ALL THE CAMPERS WHO WOULD HAVE BEEN ONLY TO HAPPY TO TAKE A FILLET OR SOME OF THE FLESH FOR FOOD...... MOST FISH CAN BE TURNED INTO YUMMY HEALTHY ,FISHCAKES, SMOKED,(great with white sauce or by itself) FISHETTS (like nuggets only its fish not chicken) or nummis (soak bite sized strips in vinigar, lemon, garlic, chilli, salt etc pickle in other words for nibbles). i know of a lot of locals up here that do all of the above with average types of fish with great results and coments. IF YOU PLAN ON VISITING THIS AREA AND WASTING FISH FROM THIS AREA THEN PLEASE DONT EVER VISIT HERE AGAIN - YOU ARE NOT WELCOME.

A comment was made recently by a couple of young fishing visitors, that Stanage is like old school, the locals are really nice until you seem to do the wrong thing, then look out. It's true we are old school in the fact that its up to all of the people to enforce the rules themselves, respect, honesty and cleanliness is a must up here by all that live or visit the area. Remember we have three dumps here at Stanage Bay - a recycle steel dump, a general rubbish dump, a fish n tree dump. Please bring your beers in cans, as the local coastguard recycles the empties ( a can bin is outside the coastguard building and carpark at the boat ramp, as well as in all the rentals and one at the general dump) Please keep this in mind next time you wish to dispose of your rubbish - we don't want the government authorities or law enforcers in this area anymore than you do so PLEASE USE YOUR BRAINS AND COMMONSENSE UP HERE. Enjoy the pics and thanks to all who have been emailing me pics for my new photo board. Thanks guys and ladies.
until next time, keep those rods wet n bent, cheers Von
Attachments
15 july 2010 027.jpg
15 july 2010 025.jpg
15 july 2010 024.jpg
15 july 2010 019.jpg
15 july 2010 017.jpg
15 july 2010 012.jpg
15 july 2010 008.jpg
15 july 2010 006.jpg
15 july 2010 004.jpg
15 july 2010 002.jpg