Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 14 Jan 11

Post by Brad » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:01 pm

Howdy all fishers from Stanage Bay and the surrounding islands

The Road: Today the road is open with minimal water on the crossings. Remember most of the fresh water crossings / creeks are governed by the rainfall in the Shoalwater bay Army Country and Byfield via Yeppoon. Flash Flooding is also a threat when the thunder storms pass over the road. So if you are going to venture up here, because the authorities do not have information on our road as such it is best when you turn off the highway give us, the plumtree store, or Stanage Bay Ice or a local a call. The road can be open in the morning and closed by lunchtime. one example: my partner Tony and I thought we would do a very quick run into Rocky for some freight supplies, we left here, road dry at 11.30am and got back to the Stanage Bay road by 4pm only to go through Tilpal Creek 600mm, then teatree creek one & two at 700mm (no run) then Block Creek stopped us at 800 gushing and quite wide and rising.

We sat there for two or so hours, we decided we would have to sleep in the front of the cruiser ute, when a mate in his 5ton truck came along behind us. In short we followed him back to the highway, in saying this we were tied onto his truck through the creeks as they were by now flowing and had risen. So like everywhere at the moment, Be Careful and seriously think before you drive on, do you really need to try teaching your vehicle to swim or be a boat. The Crabbing: Yep still awesome. in saying this please only take the full crabs. If you can push in the carapace under the claws or beside the flap, then he will not be a good A Grade, Full Crab. Its naught to do with colour, ok. Thats an old tale.

The Fishing: The weather when clear of rain has been really flat, thats when its not rough. Its been hot and muggy and has all the ingredients for building up a ripper cyclone season. Anyway, when there has been enough people up here to go out in the boats they were rewarded and sorry i dont have any pics to share. The fishing up the sound, our estuary, has been reasonable, with throwback barra getting hooked, nice king salmon, bluetooth parrot fish, and grunter. The Rental Holiday Housing: There is still plenty of 2011 bookings available with more understandable cancellations. Just give us a ring or send an email with your dates you require. The rennovations on both the villa and oasis are nearly finished inside, the retaining wall at the villa will now allow for drive through x 2 lanes in front of the house. I still have to get the New Fish Filleting Facilities in both places done.

Thanks to Jeff at Owens rewind in Gympie we have the new fish weighin boards for here, the villa and oasis waiting to have the T posts welded and fitted with new scales so fishers can weighin their fish and email me through their catches. The new Fish Cleaning facilities will have a minimum of 3mtr x 6 mtr concrete slab, a roof with a light, a 2.4m long x 1m wide cleaning table with a wash tub at each end, screening on two sides, and an outdoor powerpoint. I hope that will suit all fishers, let me know your thoughts. Under the villa now is a lock up room with two freezers and a big fridge, laundry with new auto washer and cleaning cupboard, vhf radio and the phone, the bathroom all revamped, a kitchenette with 6 burner bbq, futtons, huge flat screen tv with austar, sterio, brag photo boards, pool table,dart board and table tennis. Upstairs is great as well, with a new tv, dvd player,new paint, floorcovering, stove, s/s bbq, tiles, linen and curtains. in short its beaut for all fishers. as I said, Im not finished with it yet.

The oasis has a new dormetry setup, new paint, new stove, new 6 burner bbq, new linen and a new driveway as well as and thanks to Jeff and Teddy who finished it off, a 5m x 6m covered back relaxing area joined to the shed, you will love it. ok guys I think thats about it, I raved on enough to bore anyone, sorry. til nexttime you know my number and email and website if you need any further info on Stanage or its waterways and islands.
Be Safe, Be Healthy and Happy
Cheers
Von