danny@tackleworldtownsville.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Report 14th Oct 05

Post by Brad » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:54 am

14/10/05
FISH OF A LIFETIME
Day one
Over the last couple of days I have managed to get a day or two away from the tackle store to take a good mate of mine from Brisbane, Craig Stewart, out to fish a few of my local hotspots. Craig was extremely impressed with the local creeks and bay fishing in and around Townsville.

The increase in temperature recently has really brought the barramundi on the bite, so we headed down to one of the creeks that enter into Bowling Green Bay - Morrissey. The day started by flicking a few soft plastics (large flick baits) and a few hard body lures at some likely snags, resulting in only three or four cod and a mangrove jack. As the tide entered the last half of the incoming we decided to troll a few deep banks and it was on. Craig hooked and landed his fish of a life-time, a 102cm barramundi. I have never seen a man more excited. After we had a few coldies to celebrate and snapped a few photos we were at it again, landing another 75cm barra.

The fingermark are also responding well to live baits. Two were landed for the day - taken on live green back herring.

A few of the local guides have been putting their clients onto some healthy barra bites recently with some reports of 10 to 15 fish taken in a session, fishing the snags with large live prawns. Most of these fish are ranging between 60 and 85cm.

Day Two
It was a quick early morning raid to some fingermark spots in Cleveland Bay. We headed off around 4am this morning to fish a couple of marks in Cleveland Bay, specifically targeting fingermark on soft plastics. However, we didn’t know what we were in for, using only 30lb braid with a 50lb leader. After only a couple of hours we had used two packets of large Storm soft plastics - bricked every time. Thirty pound braid was just ridiculously ambitious. However, without luck on the fingermark we started jigging a few metal slices, which resulted in numerous doggy mackerel. The morning was quite an entertaining one.

All reports are that there are still plenty of doggy mackerel in and around the West Point, Halifax Bay areas. Using metal slices or simple burley up and floating a few pilchards should result in fish.

Play Safe
Danny Brooks

Danny & Rosalie Brooks
Tackle World
tworldtsv@beyond.net.au Ph. 0747251266
Attachments
Craig's fingermark.jpg
Craig Stewart with a nice fingermark
Craig's barra.jpg
Craig Stewart with his barra of a lifetime