Tackle World Domain Central
Ph. 07 4725 1266
danny@tackleworldtownsville.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Report Thursday 10 May 07

Post by Brad » Thu May 10, 2007 6:31 pm

LAND BASED
The best land based fishing at the moment seems to be coming from the Northern Beaches with plenty of nice whiting and flathead getting caught from Bushland Beach to Taylor’s Beach. The sand bars and gutters at the mouths of the creeks in these areas have been producing some good 60cm plus flathead also.

INSHORE
The creeks have been fishing OK lately with reports of some nice grunter coming from the mouth of crocodile and along the front stretch of mangroves just before the mouth of Morrissey creek. A few yellow fin bream are starting to show up with Plantation creek near Ayr with some good fish to 1kg getting caught on nice fresh prawn and chicken breast. The Haughton is also fishing quite well at the moment with good reports of Barra still coming in with live prawn and trolled lures working a treat.
Mangrove jacks have also been making up a regular part of the snag fishers catch recently with strip baits and herring accounting for most fish. Reports of crabs has been a little patchy this week however I would have to say I have never seen so many crab pots as I recently saw down Ocean and Plantation Creek over the long weekend. I can report probably for good reason as these two creeks seem to be producing some great crabs recently.

OFFSHORE & BAY
With the Predators Tournament on last weekend there were plenty of boats that got offshore on the Saturday before the winds got up. As a result there where some nice nannygai and red emperor caught and some exceptional coral trout with one of the boys fishing on SV Boat charters taking out the biggest coral trout prize. There where also plenty of Spanish mackerel and cobia caught with Salamander Reef once again producing plenty of quality Spanish mackerel. The billfish didn’t want to play the game with only one Sailfish tagged for the entire tournament. Hopefully this should pickup over the coming months. But I will leave the bad news till last the forecast this weekend looks very ordinary so I don’t expect to much offshore fishing this weekend.

SUGGESTED SPOTS THIS WEEKEND
Try chasing a few whiting or flathead around the sand bars and gutters at the mouths of most of the creeks in the Northern Beaches area. Yabbies and peeled prawn would be my preferred bait for whiting while the slender profile gulps (soft plastics) work wonders on flathead.
PLAY SAFE
Danny Brooks
Tackle World Townsville
Attachments
Darren Barra.jpg
Darren with a Barra