Tackle World Domain Central
Ph. 07 4725 1266
danny@tackleworldtownsville.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Report Friday 15 Jun 07

Post by Brad » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:20 pm

LAND BASED
There has been a few reports of Queenfish and trevally caught using poppers around kissing point. The jetty at picnic bay has also been producing the odd mackerel and Queenfish. Last weekend with the calmer weather a school of very small mackerel moved into the mouth of Ross River with a number of reports of these fish smashing up soft plastics. Great fun on light gear although there were plenty of chop offs.
The lakes have been turning on some great fun lately on light gear with bream taking soft plastics. However I wouldn’t trust anything on the dinner plate from the lakes so it would be recommended releasing them.

INSHORE
Despite the drop in temperature recently there have been a number of reports of Mangrove Jack and Fingermark being caught on live baits. Which surprises me but it is fishing and you never know unless you go. I have also had reports of the odd barra still being caught with live prawn by far the preferred bait. The majority of reports on these species have come from the Haughton, Morressey and the Bohle. With the odd report coming from Victoria creek near Taylor’s beach. The mouths of most of the creeks in Cleveland Bay have been producing plenty of salmon with the blues being the most prevalent with the odd big threadfin thrown in. The creeks in and around the Burdekin have also been producing some quality salmon. The whiting have been a little patching however if you can find them they have been quality fish and in good numbers it’s just a matter of finding a patch. The northern beaches have been producing some good catches of whiting with the odd quality flathead taken in the same locations on live baits, soft plastics and even the baits intended for whiting like peeled prawn and yabbies. There are still a few crabs around despite the flogging they had recently over the long weekend. I have noticed more reports of crabs recently of large numbers of just under size crabs. So don’t forget the crab measurer.

In terms of the bream the reports have been a little less than expected for this time of year. With a number of the bream hot spots not firing yet. Most reports of any quality fish coming have come from the Haughton River area. With quite a lot of bream weighed in at the Giru International Fishing Classic last weekend. The grunter have also been a little quite with the Hinchinbrook area probably the pick of the areas for these species at the moment.

OFFSHORE & BAY
Last weekend thru up some nice weather at the last minute with plenty of reports of Queensland school mackerel (doggie mackerel) around West Point, shipping pylons and the weed beds. But in saying that there were also plenty of reports from disappointed angers with no mackerel on board despite great efforts, which indicates to me that they are still a little patchy with fish concentrated in certain locations. However there is one thing I will stress is the need for a continuous burley slick. As some one once said a little often is better than the whole lot at once. There were some exceptional catches of Spanish mackerel and cobia last weekend also with most of the usually locations producing fish. Cape Cleveland and the Palms have been producing some huge fish lately. A 28kg fish caught by Andy Mead one of the bigger specimens I have heard of recently. The baits producing the best results seem to be Wolf hearing, Slimy mackerel, yellow tail and large gar. I also had a report of some nice Spanish mackerel caught in Horseshoe Bay on live yellow tail last weekend. Reports from the reef last weekend where promising with grub reef producing some quality coral trout and plenty of red emperor and nannygai.

SUGGESTED SPOTS THIS WEEKEND
At this stage the weather gods are not shinning on us so I think it is likely to be a weekend for rod and reel maintenance or chasing a few whiting and flathead around the sand flats on the incoming afternoon tides.

PLAY SAFE
DANNY BROOKS