Tackle World Domain Central
Ph. 07 4725 1266
danny@tackleworldtownsville.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Report 20 Jul 07

Post by Brad » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:12 am

LAND BASED
The swing basin has been providing plenty of fun on light gear recently with plenty of small barra and good bream taking small lures with the Cultiva Mira shad working a treat. Soft plastics have also been working in this area. There has been some nice Queenfish caught off Pallarenda beach recently with live gar or garfish fillets working best.

INSHORE
This might sound a little far fetched but I have it from a good source. Morrissey creek has been producing some good Barra and mangrove jack recently with one report of as many as 18 barra caught fishing the snags with live prawn and greenback herring. The recent run in the Burdekin River seems to have moved the whiting into the adjacent creeks like Plantation and Hell Hole which are less likely to have any freshwater influence. As a result the reports of quality whiting have increase considerably in both these creeks. There have also been some good reports of whiting at the mouth of Sandfly creek in Cleveland Bay and Insulator creek further north. There have still been some reports of quality flathead mixed in with whiting catches. I would expect that this time of the year the bream should be in full swing however in saying that I haven’t had a lot of report recently, which could be due to the good weather with most anglers out chasing mackerel.

OFFSHORE & BAY
The reports of school mackerel have been a little hit and miss in recent weeks with some reports of 10 to 20 fish caught in one session while others have worked hard for little results. A good burley slick seems to be imperative if you intend floating pilchards for school mackerel. Something also worth noting is that most of the successful anglers of late are note using wire leader opting for mono. Although the number of bit offs will increase the number of hits will also increase considerably. There have also been some good reports of exceptional size Queenfish lately with metal slice lures accounting for some very good fish. Bumpa Bars and Gold spanyird lures working quite well.

Les the skipper on board SV Boat Charters tells me that the small mouth nannygai have been schooled up in good numbers over the inshore shoals, there are large mouth also in these areas however it has been a challenge getting the baits past the small mouth. The wrecks and smaller shoals have been fishing better for largemouth and Red Emperor with the Red emperor numbers a little less than expected in recent weeks. He also has been catching some exceptional Coral trout over the deep shoals close to the reef. The Red Throat Emperor have been very hit and miss, with catches varying from bag limit quantities to none at all. There has also been plenty of Spanish mackerel around the shoals with most around the 10kg mark.

There have been no reports to date of the small black marlin showing up in numbers at Cape Bowling Green.

SUGGESTED SPOTS THIS WEEKEND
Plantation creek in the Burdekin looks the pick for Whiting while Morrissey Creek would be my destination this weekend if I was feeling patient enough to sit on a snag with live prawn for a barra. Apart from that bring on good weather for next weekend with the full moon on 30th next weekend (28th and 29th) should be mackerel mayhem.
Attachments
Jarrod Gill nannygai.jpg
Jarrod Gill with some good nannygai