Tackle World Domain Central
Ph. 07 4725 1266
danny@tackleworldtownsville.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 31 Aug 07

Post by Brad » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:18 pm

LAND BASED
Most of the beaches have been blown out this week and there has been very little to report on the land based scene, about the only report I have had is that there has been some flathead and whiting caught inside the sand bars at Alva Beach in the more protected waters.

INSHORE
Also in the Burdekin area the most consistent reports have been coming from Plantation creek with some good flathead, whiting and a late run of quality yellow fin bream being caught towards the mouth. The winds this weekend are likely to make it a little uncomfortable to fish this area around the high tide and the later half of the tide might be your best chance of fishing the area behind one of the many sand bars in the creek. The Bohle, Haughton and Morrissey have also been producing the old quality barra and mangrove jack with the smaller live baits doing the trick. There also seems to be plenty reports of big barra being marked on sounders in these systems however they are not responding to trolled lures yet with hours spent buzzing the same snag with only a few touches probably out of annoyance more than any thing else.

OFFSHORE & BAY
During the small window of calmer conditions late last week there where some reports of Spanish mackerel caught around the Palm Islands and wide of Cape Cleveland. Of those that got to the reef late last week also reported ok catches of Trout and Reds. There has also been plenty of Whales in the area in recent weeks also making for some spectacular viewing. It is also wise to keep you wits about you also this time of year because I now how would come off best if you hit one of these giants
I have also received a few reports of some good school mackerel sessions over the weed beds in Cleveland Bay late last week also however the key once again seems to be plenty of burley. There is also some freight train cobia in the area. Last weekend saw a few Sailfish tagged and one Black marlin in the bowling green grounds. It is a little disappointing however fingers crossed they make an appearance this weekend during the Gilbert Group NQ Mining Industry Billfish Challenge for 2007.

SUGGESTED SPOTS THIS WEEKEND
It looks like the windy conditions are going to dictate where we fish this weekend so I would concentrate my fishing efforts in the protected areas of your favourite creek or river. Plantation creek around the bottom of the tide tucked behind a sand bar looks like it might be the way to go this weekend.
Play Safe
Danny Brooks
Tackle World Townsville