Report 13th Dec 05

Danny & Rosalie Brooks
Tackle World Domain Central
Ph. 07 4725 1266

Report 13th Dec 05

Post by Brad » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:25 am

How the festive season is shaping up
Queenfish and trevally
If you have never caught a trevally or queenfish on a popper then you just don’t know what you are missing. Throwing poppers is a very visual form of fishing and can be one of the most exciting too. One of the best times to do this is just after a storm. For some reason storms seem to get the trevally and queenfish really worked up.
Salamander Reef is a good location to do this, close to Townsville. There have been some reports of these fish starting to show up in the likely areas. Over the festive period just keep your eye on the weather, in particular those storms.
With the temperature really heating up, late afternoon or early morning raids have been producing most of the good quality fish. A tide making into the twilight hours is ideal for chasing grunter.
These fish seemed to go off the bit for a couple of weeks but recent reports indicate that they are back, with some very nice fish being caught. Point Pallarenda, the foreshores of Cleveland Bay and the mouths of most of the rivers and creeks in and around Townsville are producing fish. I find the best time to chase grunter seems to be either side of the top of the tide.
There are a number of baits and rigs that can be used to chase grunter but I prefer to use large prawns and mullet slabs when fishing the rivers and creeks for grunter. However, small bottle squid rigged on a single hook work well in most coastal bays and shelly areas, regularly frequented by large grunter. The key to finding grunter is, like most fish, find the type of substrate they feed on - in their case shelly bottom, and simply fish it at the right time with nice fresh bait. One of the blokes who works for me in the shop has just started to catch grunter quite effectively on snapback and flick bait soft plastics, on a paternoster rig.
Grey Mackerel
There have been some good reports of grey mackerel being caught recently. Grey mackerel often come into the Townsville area around October – February, feeding on the many bait schools that are present in Cleveland and Halifax Bay. West Point, Bray and Bare islands and Paluma shoals are likely areas to chance your arm at catching these nice fish. Grey mackerel can be caught in the same manner as its cousin the Spanish mackerel. Floating pilchards and throwing high-speed slices are just some of the methods that will account for a few of these mackerel.
Possession and size limits differ between many of the mackerel species, so it is important to be able to pick the difference between the species. Generally the grey mackerel can be distinguished by dark bars extending part way down its sides and the black area at the front of the dorsal fin.
There have been some good reports of fingermark being taken around Four and Two Foot rocks, West Point and Orchid Rock. Live squid appears to be the preferred bait, accounting for most of the quality fish, while deep diving lures and soft plastics have also been working well. The best times to chase these fish is when you can get the live squid they just love, and this is usually best done around the new moon, with a squid light (no light in the sky gives the light its power to attract small bait fish and prawns, just what the squid like feeding on). I also like tides with little run, particularly when using soft plastics on a drift jig style technique. Fingermark are one of my favourites when it comes to the dinner table but remember to be sensible and only take enough for your immediate use.
Have a great XMAS and may all your headaches be your own doing.
Play Safe
Danny Brooks
Danny & Rosalie Brooks
Tackle World Ph. 0747251266