Tackle World Domain Central
Ph. 07 4725 1266
danny@tackleworldtownsville.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 14 May 09

Post by Brad » Thu May 14, 2009 11:14 am

LAND BASED & FRESHWATER
The Northern beaches particularly around the Bluewater area have been the pick of the land based spots this week with some good reports of whiting and in particular blue salmon with some very nice fish around the 60cm mark taking slab mullet baits and large prawn baits. I find garfish fillets work well also along the beaches at times particularly if there is gar in the area. Even better if you can catch some to use for live baits they are dynamite on the larger predators like queenfish and barra. These larger fish patrol the beaches at various times of the year and if you are there at the right time anything can happen. There has also been the odd report of whiting being caught along the beach in front of the Rowes Bay caravan park around the top of the tide.

INSHORE
Once again the winds have confined most fishing to the creeks and rivers and the results have been a little mixed with reports being patchy however the most consistent species at the moment is the humble whiting with fish around the 30cm mark being caught over many of the sand flats on the incoming tide and the gutters and drop offs on the out going. Live yabbies are the best bait however if you don’t have the time to pump some yabbies the next best bait is a small peeled prawn. The Haughton River and Morrissey creek have been the pick of the systems for bream and barra in recent weeks and cattle has been producing the goods when it comes to mangrove jacks but it has been quite difficult to get to lately due to the windy conditions. As the water cools the barra tend to switch food preference to smaller live baits live herring, small mullet and in particular large prawns. There have been some good reports this week of some nice barra taken on trolled lures. I was also advised that “downsizing your bait to guppies work a treat on barra” if you believe anything Steve Colborne says you will believe anything. Grunter have been a little patchy but the signs are good as these fish tend to increase in numbers towards the end of the year with my favourite months for grunter being September, October and November, but they are often caught all year round which makes them a great fish for this area. The crabs seem to of slowed a little but it is always worth throwing in a pot or two this time of year the crabs are usually top quality crabs.

OFFSHORE & BAY
Unfortunately I have very little to report this week due to the weather conditions. Fingers crossed that all changes soon. I did hear that one angler was catching the occasional quality Coral Trout from a number of land based locations on Maggie Island (secret squirrel).

NORTHERN CONQUEST CHARTERS REEF REPORT
No report due to weather conditions.

SUGGESTED SPOTS THIS WEEKEND
The tides and weather are not going to do anglers any favours and with less that 1 metre of run for most of the day it is going to be a little tough. The early morning tide looks best to me. Look for areas were the tidal flow is its strongest during these neapish tides, these areas are often very difficult to fish with any tidal flow and as a result are often left alone for the majority of the time.