Tackle World Domain Central
Ph. 07 4725 1266
danny@tackleworldtownsville.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 17 Jun 10

Post by Brad » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:45 pm

LAND BASED
Once again Salmon Creek near Cungulla has been choc-a-block full of big winter whiting. Schools of whiting can be seen nestled close to the bottom in a foot of water and a lightly rigged long shank with a peeked prawn is all that is needed to secure a good feed. A little trick for good whiting is not to cast too far out and slowly wind your bait to the bank until you get a bite. Once you get the initial bite hold your bait there and hang on! The lakes have started to show signs of its famous winter bream run, with schools of small yellow fin bream lining the edges. We should see over the next few weeks the bigger bream move in, and don’t be surprised to see fish around 40cm hitting the bank. Also other local hotspots like Victoria Bridge and Lowths Bridge have been producing some good size tarpon and trevally of late, with late evening sessions most productive.

INSHORE
Recently there has been a few good catches of barra lately even with the colder water temperatures of late. The common factor plucked from the many anglers having success has been the use of small timber lures. While the water is clear, timber lures don’t have the loud rattle that can sometimes spook fish laid up in snags. The best timber lures I’ve used has to the Koolabung Razorback lure, give one a go. I would even suggest using more natural colours, as bright vibrant colours can also spook fish. Another must have lure for winter success is the DOA prawn. I know you hear about this lure all the time but they really work. They have a slow sink rate and barra love them, particularly this time of year when the barra make the switch from fish bait to prawns. Best systems of late for catching good winter barra has been the Haughton River, with the smaller systems that line Halifax bay from Crystal Creek to Hinchinbrook producing double figure scores of mangrove jacks.

OFFSHORE & BAY
During the last of the good weather there had been a few good reports of coral trout being caught. Davies reef has been fishing particularly well with a few trout over a metre caught and released. The red emperor fishing in the deeper water has been first class with more reports of fish up to 10kg almost an easy catch in the right areas. The slashers group has been fishing really well of late with red throat and trout in particular showing good size and numbers. What’s even better to see is the amount of people who are now giving soft plastics a go with success. Don’t hesitate to come in and ask how to rig and use soft plastics if this is something you want to try. The mackerel reports have been fairly consistent, but best reports have come from Rib reef. Anglers in the know have informed me that high speed lures, and gars rigged up on a woghead have been the proven formula. Look for working bait, mix up trolling speeds and lures for best success.

SUGGESTED SPOTS THIS WEEKEND
If Saturday holds out it would be hard to resist an inshore trip to chase the marauding Spanish mackerel around of late. I’d start looking around 6 mile from behind Maggie Island and troll the red and black halco laser pros and also garfish on a wog head. Remember, look for bait and the predators won’t be too far away! If you want some protection look at trolling around Rattlesnake Island and keep an eye out for birds to locate the bait schools.