Tackle World Domain Central
Ph. 07 4725 1266
danny@tackleworldtownsville.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 21 Oct 10

Post by Brad » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:03 pm

LAND BASED
The weirs have slowed up considerably with more attention focussed around the strand lately. The strand jetty has fished exceptionally well with a recent surge of barra captures on live herring. Fish up 75cm have been a regular catch and seem to be well and truly on the chew, and with only a couple of weeks of barra fishing left it sounds like the place you want to be at the moment. The rock pool continues to fish well for fingermark with soft plastics once again hard to beat, although live herring should find the bigger fish. Rooney’s bridge has been another easy access location that’s fished really well over the last week. Schools of big trevally have been keeping light line anglers entertained with small poppers and soft plastics lasting mere seconds in the water. Live baits set around the bridge have seen a few good jacks caught and the odd barra, and this bite should continue right up until the closed season.

INSHORE
The Hinchinbrook channel appears to be the pick of the locations at the moment with good barra coming off the small creeks in snags. I did hear that a suspending type lure was getting far more attention than your traditional snag floaters. You may get snagged a fraction more but if it’s catching more fish on the day than I reckon you can put up with a snag or two. The big fingermark continue to bite well in the deeper water in the channel. Areas such as Haycock Island and the Bluff are all worth a fish and remember that you can apply the trolling and jigging technique here as well. Expect anything to come up from these deep water areas such as big barra, grunter and salmon as they all call these locations home. Good numbers of barra can be found in the Haughton at the moment with most of the fish holding tight in the snags. A good surprise has been the inclusion of some nice threadfin salmon around 90cm caught in amongst the snags on well presented soft plastics.

OFFSHORE & BAY
No reports from out wide but there are still a handful of anglers trying their luck at a spot of fingermark fishing. Day and night sessions have been both very productive with live baits almost a sure fire way to secure a good chopper. There’s been some quality fish caught with the biggest fish I’ve heard landed recently around 92cm. Best results at night have come from live squid and day sessions work particularly well with live herring. Also fingermark respond very well to deep diving lures like the RMG Scorpion crazy deep in bright fluoro colours. Another daytime option is to try jigging soft plastics and blades over them, and some of the best in the business is the Berkley Gulp 7’ jerk shad and the 14g Koolabung blade. Vary your retrieve and technique to find the best results on the day.

SUGGESTED SPOTS THIS WEEKEND
Big tides around the new moon makes creek fishing a little difficult, but with the grunter on the chew at the moment I’d look at trying my luck around west point and Burdekin Rock. If you can’t find much protection around the Island a land based session off the northern beaches usually produces good fish on these tides.