Tackle World Domain Central
Ph. 07 4725 1266
danny@tackleworldtownsville.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 4 Dec 10

Post by Brad » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:31 pm

LAND BASED
Once again Pallarenda is the place to be on these big tides and there has been some big fish caught in recent days. There has been some oversized queenfish caught on both live baits and artificials, with the biggest fish that I’ve heard of going 1.3m in length. These acrobatic speedsters should show themselves a lot more over the summer period with cloudy overcast conditions perfect to attack them with surface lures. The grunter reports have continued along Pallarenda as well as the northern beaches and should only improve with the lead up to the next moon. Beach fishing this time of year can be very productive as the fresh water influence can flush out schools of bait onto the foreshore, and where there’s bait… there’s fish. This time of year on the beaches you can also expect to see some big blue salmon and water clarity doesn’t bother them one bit. Sometimes the dirtier the better!

INSHORE
The Burdekin River is in full flood at the moment and public ramps like Kierles landing almost definitely non existent til next year. The smaller creeks in the Burdekin have been very productive for tasty crustaceans such prawns and crabs, with the mouths of the creeks producing some excellent bucks of late. Creeks such as Ocean, Plantation and Phillips have all consistently produced good crabs with the mouths and flats out the front of each system where to find yourself the best crabs. The Haughton and Morrissey’s continue to produce its fair share of big grunter along with the beaches north of Townsville. Further south where the rain hasn’t affected the water clarity too much, areas like bowling green bay have produced the only real decent mangrove jack reports. Fish around 50cm have been regarded as average and the water is still reasonably clear with fish holding deep in mangrove roots. Small hard bodies and the DOA prawn are pretty hard to beat for jack artificials.

OFFSHORE & BAY
A mixed weather report saw a few punch out to the reef and shoals off Townsville and Lucinda with conditions described as ugly over the weekend. The shoals produced a few large mouth nannygai and cobia, while Trunk reef proved to be one of the better reefs for coral trout. Monday saw much better conditions and anglers ventured further out towards greener pastures. Good trout fell to lucanus jigs, gulp 7” jerk shads and small metal slices. A much welcomed surprise was the inclusion of two good size Spanish mackerel caught while jigging for trout caught from close to the bottom. Fishing deeper water those fishing with baits found big red emperors and managed to jig up a nice dogtooth on a large blade. One keen angler tried his luck at popper fishing for some GT’s around trunk reef, and after raising a few smaller GT’s he hooked a monster footballer trout. Estimated at around 90cm a fish of this size is rare with any style of fishing, but to catch one on a popper is equally as rewarding as catching a metre plus barra.

SUGGESTED SPOTS THIS WEEKEND
With seas to 0.6 of a metre early, you would be crazy if you didn’t fuel up the big rig and look at heading out to your favourite reef spot for some Christmas coral trout! Word has got round that the crayfish should be out in full force so if you’re the diving type, try your luck at a few crays as well. Reefs like Trunk, Bramble and Walker would be my pick of the locations.

pockets81

Re: Weekly Report 4 Dec 10

Post by pockets81 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:27 am

Had my father and brother up from Melbourne for the week so decided to take them on a small trip around Maggie. Just on day break the boat was in we were arriving at a little favorite spot of mine( as I had to show up our fishing here!) After a few small nannies we started landing some 45 - 60cm beautys! After taking just enough for a feed we did a little catch and release when the odd fingermark and queeny located nicely in the ice box. Thought we better move on so tried our luck with some trowling around the island but nothing was interested. After about 20 mins ancored on a good rock we only managed two small rock cods when the sound of seagulls diving cought my eye!!! Rods ready off we went. Schools everywhere!!!! After spotting the dolphins we were set with the day to remember with tuna running wild everywhere!! What a day. Just goes to show, with a little knowledge and a lot of luck some great fish and a great day can be had!!