Tackle World Domain Central
Ph. 07 4725 1266
danny@tackleworldtownsville.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 29 Apr 11

Post by Brad » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:48 am

LAND BASED
The Lakes have continued to produce good bream and tarpon on small lures like the Strada Piccola 40mm. The Northern Beaches and Pallarenda Beach have given up some reasonable flathead in the last few days. The freshwater reaches of the Herbert River are producing some red hot sooty fishing if you don’t mind plenty of walking. Just keep your wits about you as there are some big snapp’in handbags in that neck of the woods.

INSHORE
Crabs, crabs & more crabs with just about every creek from Plantation creek in the south to the Hinchinbrook Channel in the North producing a good feed of crabs over the Easter break. The reports seem to be continuing so if you didn’t get the chance to get out over Easter this weekend looks just as good. There is plenty of jelly prawn in the drains at the moment which can often result in a very frustrating fishing session as it can prove quite difficult to get a fish to take your lure when they are so focused on such small bait. However despite that the Haughton River and Morrissey’s systems are continuing to producing plenty of barra with the bigger barra taking trolled lures and bigger live baits. There have also been good reports of Mangrove jacks smashing lures in the upper reaches of Cromarty and the Island side creeks of the Hinchinbrook Channel. I’ve also heard of a few reports of some nice prawns being caught, but the location was not divulged.

OFFSHORE & BAY
One of my favourites the fingermark has been right on the chew with live baits like small mullet and herring accounting for some nice fish. The pick of the spots being the Coconut shoals off Alva Beach, Halifax bay & the rocky headlands around Hinchinbrook Island. I personally like chasing these fish in daylight hours and trolling lures is a great alternative to bait with fluoro coloured lure often working best for me. With the weather conditions on the anglers side for a change the reef and shoals saw a lot more action over the weekend and as a result the reports have been on the improve. The area around Merinda shoals has been producing some exceptional large mouth nannygai with the average fish around the 70 to 80cm mark. Although not as prolific the red emperor catches have been good in the same area.

On the whole the reports from the reef have been a little hit and miss with some reporting red hot bites and others coming home a little disappointed. But most reports suggested that although the trout have been of good size the numbers have been a little down. The mackerel are also on the increase which is great news for all you mackerel whisperers out there. As the temperature drops there should be even more reports. I expect a cracker of a year for mackerel this year with plenty of rain and consecutive years of good Spanish mackerel numbers there should be plenty of bait around and also plenty of mackerel, “touch wood”.

SUGGESTED SPOTS THIS WEEKEND
The winds look like easing a little later into the weekend with Sunday at this stage looking the pick of the days and the tides also look good for just about any form of fishing. With the new moon on Tuesday the fingermark should be hungry. Trolling lure or bouncing plastics by day and live baits by night. Tide Times New Moon: 3rd May 2011