Ph: 07 4098 5354
info@fishingportdouglas.com.au
www.fishingportdouglas.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Report 18th Dec 05

Post by Brad » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:55 pm

18/12/05
Conditions have continued to be favourable for those wanting to hit the water and there is some good fishing to be had.

In our rivers and creeks there are solid reports of mangrove jack, up to the 45cm mark, on the charge. Hard body lures and live sardines have been the best options amongst most heavily timbered areas. There are still a lot of accidental barra catches and these guys are waiting for a lot of rain to arrive. Hopefully this won’t be too far away. Tarpon and trevally have been other worthy fish to snare at the moment, and have mainly being taken on live bait.

Along the beaches the scene has slowed a little as the seaweed is thick coming in from the ocean. However, in saying this there are some monster queenfish patrolling the shallows, at times. Shane Down recently hooked onto one around 15kg only to lose it after 20 minutes when the leader wore through. It took a live garfish.

On the reef, anglers are still registering coral trout and spangled emperor, and there has been a good run on gold spot trevally, which are worth keeping. With the odd Spanish mackerel and giant trevally hitting floating pilchards, it is still worth a trip to the reef. Catch numbers are lower but the quality is exceptional.

Well I'm off to Hinchinbrook to chance my arm with Dave (Lumpy) Milson and local guide Jimbo Lee. I'm sure the fishing will be good in this neck of the woods.

Lynton (Heff) Heffer
Ph 07 40985354
www.fishingportdouglas.com.au