Lynton 'Heff' Heffer
Ph: 07 4098 5354
info@fishingportdouglas.com.au
www.fishingportdouglas.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 13 Feb 10

Post by Brad » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:14 pm

The best fishing reports over the last week have occured during low light periods and it is easy to see why. The middle parts of the day in recent times have been hot enough to make anyone's blood boil. I've been hearing of some good reports just on dark of barra being secured in the Dickson Inlet and Mossman River systems using live mullet as bait. Fishing on dark and on a run out tide has been the recipe for success. Mangrove jack are hot to trot in the Muddy Creek system amongst the sunken timbers using lures. It is very hot work during the day but they are snapping their heads off and the rewards are there. The Daintree River has also been producing some handsome fingermark which it well known for using live sardines on top of the tides.

After the big wet over the past two weeks it is time to keep an eye on the beaches for prawn activity. I suspect we'll need another good dosing of rain to really ignite this scene. In the meantime there have been some nice catches of barra and blue salmon being caught along certain sections the coastline. They generally have been not far from what we call a break through creek which has opened up after being sat idle during the dry season and fishing on dusk is ideal. On the reef I'm still hearing of hard luck stories with variable winds and a raging current running south causing some difficulties. They are not ideal conditions and is just part of fishing in the summer. Smatterings of trout, nannygai, sweetlip and stripeys have been biting but not in great numbers.

There are good sightings of mack tuna and longtail tuna running out to the outer reef. Check that you are not in a green zone first and then go chase them down. They are challenging but a lot of fun on 4-6kg spinning gear using metal slices as lures. Crank them fast through a feeding school and then hang on. A slow apporach to these feeding schools to get within casting distance is the challenge here.
To get amongst the serious action on offer give us a call ...