Lynton 'Heff' Heffer
Ph: 07 4098 5354
info@fishingportdouglas.com.au
www.fishingportdouglas.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 22 Jul 10

Post by Brad » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:35 am

There is no letting up as the south eastlerly trade winds pound the coastline on a consistent basis. Many agree that this year so far has been one of the toughest in recent history. In saying this there have been a few small pockets of opportunity where the seas momentarily had relief and anglers darted offshore to take advantage. Coral trout are now being caught right up in the shallows and have been accompanied by stripey and long nose emperor catches. Even if you are using the protection of the reef to hide from the winds you are still able to catch a decent feed. In the deeper waters and on rubble patches the large mouth nannygai are in good form and there has been some cracking red emperor in the same territory as well. Other impressive species to be snared from the depths have included some thumping bar cheek trout, tea-leaf trevally and spangled emperor. Spanish mackerel are around in good numbers with pinnacles holding life and a live fuslier on a float is almost guaranteed to attract attention from the razor gang.

Closer to home amongst the rivers and estuaries I'm hearing of good catches of mud crab and they are quite active with the bucks seeking the jennies for some romantic action. Bream speices are in full flight and it's not hard to seek this action around rock walls and man made structures. Trevally and queenfish are patrolling the deeper holes and are most active on the incoming tides. There have been quite a few just legal mangrove jack's kicking around but the bigger models are proving elusive. As for barra I'm only hearing of the odd report of activity from these prized fish. With another weekend predicted to shrouded with doom and gloom on the weather front, it might be worth a trip over the ranges and visit some of the exotic fresh rivers systems out west.
To get amongst the serious action on offer give us a call ......

1magic

Re: Weekly Report 22 Jul 10

Post by 1magic » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:02 pm

brad do have a Cristal ball and give us a guess on the weather for 11/9/10 for 12days
cheers

kao007

Re: Weekly Report 22 Jul 10

Post by kao007 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi guys im heading up from Melb to Port Douglas for a few days . Would love to get out for a fish , so just a call to see if anyone can put me onto someone to fish with or a local charter boat that gets onto some good fish .
I fish locally in Melb both offshore and the local bays had a great season this one on the tuna bagging out most days some days within 30min of dropping the first lures thanks and tight lines to all Dave