Lynton 'Heff' Heffer
Ph: 07 4098 5354
info@fishingportdouglas.com.au
www.fishingportdouglas.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 17 Jun 12

Post by Brad » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:48 pm

The month to date has been an absolute corker for a couple of reasons. Firstly we have seen a string of picture postcard days on offer and the fishing has been electric particularly offshore.
Light Game: there have been quite a few smaller black marlin caught on the wider grounds south of Port Douglas. This has occurred with a northerly current running and clear blue water. Spanish mackerel have been common fare and we are now seeing some fantastic spotted mackerel as well.

Reef: this style of fishing has gone into overdrive this past month with super sized (8-12kg) large mouth nannygai and red emperor clambering over each other to devour bait presentations. They have been found in big schools and they are hectic times when they come on the bite. To add to this the coral trout have been equally impressive in numbers and in size up to 6kg. When you add additional species such as gold spot trevally, golden trevally, sweetlip and mackerel to the equation, a day on the outer reef has come up trumps.

River: despite a rapid drop in water temperature there is still some good value in our rivers and creeks. With patience you can still provoke a barra to have a go and live prawn under a float is the best way to go. Mangrove jacks are still busy hard against the mangroves and in the deeper sections and the fingermark are still playing provided you can tickle them on the nose with a big juicy live sardine. There's been a lot of medium sized queenfish and trevally working through on the incoming tides with the odd bruiser making a cameo appearance. If you prefer to soak a dead bait there are plenty of plump bream to contend with.

stemagik

Re: Weekly Report 17 Jun 12

Post by stemagik » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi Brad,
i have been following your post's closely, as i am coming too Oz in sept for two months. i am a very keen fisherman and will be bringing gear to fish with.
i am aware of the crocodiles in the area but how much of a risk are they really? if you could give me information on safe locations to fish from in port douglas i would be very greatful.
regards,
Steven.

fishingmonthly
Admin

Re: Weekly Report 17 Jun 12

Post by fishingmonthly » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi Steven,

Brad puts these reports online on behalf of Lynton:

Lynton "Heff" Heffer
Ph (07) 4098 5354
Email info@fishingportdouglas.com.au
http://www.fishingportdouglas.com.au

you should try dropping him an email to discuss where and for what you wish to fish.

Cheers
Gavin
Webmaster