Lynton 'Heff' Heffer
Ph: 07 4098 5354
info@fishingportdouglas.com.au
www.fishingportdouglas.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 20 Sep 12

Post by Brad » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:59 pm

One week is a long time in the fishing industry and everything has turned to gold in the past week and the building tides prior to the moon have been the been truly a big bonus. I'll start with the reef fishing as this is a popular form of fishing at this time of year. If you can avoid the sharks in the deeper water, the large mouth nannygai, red emperor and associated trevally species have been on the boil. These have not been small fish all coming in between the 8-12kg range and this is as good as it gets. The hot spots have been isolated bumps on the ocean floor in 40-60m of water with a big bloom of bait hovering over it and appearing on the sounder.

Steve from Dragon Lady says the fishing has definitely gone up a notch after a frustrating week or two and Peter Todd of Aqua Cat in Cairns has reiterated these observations and recording similar catches. It's a day to day scenario on the reef and when everything goes well it is pure gold. One view which many have found is that the coral trout fishing has been a bit patchy which can occur if they are considering to spawn. There's also plenty of big mackerel around on these locations and coinciding this with their own bite time is the challenge.

Personally I can say the light tackle small marlin scene is truly on fire for the meantime. Local game skipper Damon Gruzdev along with Dave and myself of the Line Burner TV film crew, went for a delightful trip only two days ago in Damon's own personal trailer boat and we caught and filmed some of the best light tackle fishing you could expect in Far Nth Qld. In an actioned packed day we tagged 4 juvenile marlin out of an 11 possible shots. With a bit more luck this could have been 6 tagged marlin in our minds, but that's the nature of these circus flying species when they are full of energy.

They spend more time out of the water than any other species I've seen and it'll make a great show when we release the next Line Burner TV series. A couple of the resident game boats have heavy tackle schedules in the coming days and it will be interesting to see if the bigger models are on the edges of the continental shelf, fingers crossed they are. Don't forget to tune into the Line Burner Tv series on Channel 183 / Foxtel during the coming week as we'll be showcasing the biggest of marlin in an all out, best of the best of the Blue ribbon Port Douglas Marlin Challenge. It's a jet of adrenalin that will leave you totally impressed. It's currently a great time to be fishing out of Port Douglas.