Ph: 07 4098 5354
info@fishingportdouglas.com.au
www.fishingportdouglas.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 9 Nov 12

Post by Brad » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:14 pm

http://www.fishingportdouglas.com.au Phone: 0409 610 869
The Port Douglas Marlin Challenge starts today with some of the countries biggest and best game boats competing over the four day tournament. The concept of the competition is to tag and release as many marlin as possible over the four day period. Size does not matter even though many will be hoping for that elusive big fish over 1000lb. From recent reports there is every chance this will happen with multiple fish in excess of 1000lb been caught and released in the past week. Local vessel Dragon Lady Charters was one of these boats to come up close and personal to a monster fish which was well in excess of 1100lb. Skipper Steve said it was a brute of a fish and the biggest he'd seen in his lifetime and something that will be hard pressed to be beaten. He further said that they are an incredibly powerful wild beast that they deserve the upmost respect in the heat of the battle. I happen to be aboard that day as well and I can say it was the most incredible spectacle I've ever seen on the water. With calms seas predicted over the coming days and juicy tides on offer there should be some great action on the Blue Highway for our game fishing competitors.

On a more sedate level the reef fishing has seen some real quality fish return back to base. Amongst delightful boating conditions the current trend has been quality versus quantity with some stunning red emperor, large mouth nannygai and coral trout amongst the best catches seen at the marina this week. The good news is that there are still plenty of good sized mackerel swimming our local waters as well and closer to the outer shelf there are solid numbers of yellowfin tuna which are accessible to the trailer boat brigade. Don't forget we have our last set of reef closure starting Sunday 11th November through to Thursday 15th. Also we have the solar eclipse on Wednesday 14th November and it will be interesting to see how the fishing reports will go on this particular day and afterwards.