Weekly Report 2 Jun 13

Lynton 'Heff' Heffer
Ph: 07 4098 5354

Weekly Report 2 Jun 13

Post by Brad » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:11 pm

http://www.fishingportdouglas.com.au Phone: 0409 610 869
We've had to contend with moderate to freshening winds in recent times only allowing reasonable sized vessels to head offshore. Despite the challenges of a bumpy sea the results were still impressive across the board. Dragon Lady charters still smashed out their quota of fish mainly in the form of coral trout, large mouth nannygai and a good haul of Spanish mackerel caught on the floating rig. Skipper Steve the fishing wasn't too hard at all as the fish remained in an aggressive mood on most days.

Saltaire charters did the light tackle scene for quite a few days and easily secured good numbers of Spanish mackerel from the juveniles up to the 15kg mark. They also encountered their fair share of sharky mackerel as well which kept the reels turning over for most of the day. Their popper fishing for giant trevally was also successful with decent tides on their side and they managed to catch and release up to a dozen of these brutes each trip. Most fish were around the 10kg mark with the biggest touching the scales at just over 18kg. Skipper Damian Collete said despite the cold fresh winds at least the fishing remained red hot.

Reel Chase charters also had a good run on the Spanish mackerel during the week and Skipper Brett Goetze said they were turning reels on consistent basis. Their mackerel were mainly between the 8-12kg mark and he mentioned that there are a lot of juvenile species on certain parts of the reef.

In the rivers and creek Port Douglas Sportfishing have caught a mixture of fish of late including mangrove jack, grunter, bream, small queenfish and medium sized queenfish. On the coastal reefs they have seen plenty of cod species and have picked up trevally on the edges of the reef as well. The barra unfortunately have seemed to have shut down with the recent cold snaps we've experienced at night during the past week. Looking ahead we may have a couple of calm days on our hands but the winds look like going out of control by the end of the weekend.

Re: Weekly Report 2 Jun 13

Post by Drifta-X » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Love the report.
I'm heading to port Douglas for a week from the 12th this month.
Ill be bringing some gear withe and was just wonder how light is too light.
Got a 6-8kg 7footer with a 4000 shimano with 20lb braid, I assume that will cover me fairly well in the river, but was wondering how light I can go. As I will be bringing my nitro vapour 70 1-3kg and sol2 2004 with PE .6 (9.2lb)
Will be brining a vast selection of lures both small and large, as well as a good selection of plastics.