Brett Hyde
Ballina Bait & Tackle,
Ballina West Shopping Centre
Ph: 02 6686 2527
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 30/6/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:04 pm

We're starting to see a few snapper on the close reefs and the odd jew. On the southern 32s and 42s there are snapper and flathead being caught. Out on the shelf guys been getting some bar cod.

On the beaches there have been bream and a few chopper tailor. Try 7 Mile Beach, Lennox and at South Ballina.

The break walls been a bit quiet except for some bream (but we've got rough weather this weekend which might bring on the jewies). I was out with a mate on the porpoise wall recently, he was fishing plastics and crab imitations and I was using Atomic Hardz Bladez, hopping them 30-50cm off the bottom. I caught over twice as many bream as he did, which I put down to me fishing lower in the water column; when the bream start to do their breeding run they tend to hug the bottom. Admittedly though, my mate caught a better class of fish overall.

In the lower reaches of the river, from the mouth up to to about the Burns Point ferry has been where the bulk of the flathead and bream have been. After the recent rain and floodwaters the run-up tide has been fishing a little better. There's the chance of a couple of jew on the high tides at night.

Luderick been grabbing yabbies and peeled prawns because of the dirty water. Anglers have been getting them at Prospect Bridge, Mobbs Bay and behind the CBD.

Brett Hyde

Ballina Bait and Tackle
Ballina West Shopping Centre
River St, Ballina
Ph: 02 6686 2527