Brett Hyde
Ballina Bait & Tackle,
Ballina West Shopping Centre
Ph: 02 6686 2527
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 14/3/08

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:20 am

Bruce from Dave’s Bait Shop says everyone’s catching a few fish in the river. Plenty of flatties and whiting and a lot of bream but the bream are only just size or under. A few good whiting around Pimlico with some flatties as well, with bloodworms doing the damage on the whiting. North Creek, Emigrant Creek and the main river still have plenty of mud crabs. A lot of the smaller males can be a little empty, throw them back to fatten up.
Quite a few good tailor along the beaches and headlands, especially in the evenings and night. Whiting, bream and flathead from most of the beaches outside the closure area. That’s from Flat Rock south to Keith Hall lane and 1km seawards, except the reef off Black Head for mackerel and tuna. Seaward sides of the walls still out of bounds.
Offshore, a lot of good pearlies to 5kg and snapper out wide. A few mackerel showing in close but they remain patchy.
I’ve been away all week but this morning noticed a few fair whiting coming in from Airforce Beach at Evans Head and I’m told there have also been some decent whiting in the river. One of my mates has picked up some school jew from the headland and reckons he’s seen some schools of tailor at times as well.
Plenty of boats offshore today. Brody from Evans Head Charters says they’ve been getting squire and pearlies this morning and chasing a few amberjacks in about 1.5 knots of current from the north.
Tony Zann t.zann@fishingmonthly.com.au