Brett Hyde
Ballina Bait & Tackle,
Ballina West Shopping Centre
Ph: 02 6686 2527
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 9/4/09

Post by Tony Zann » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:38 pm

Bruce at Dave’s Bait Shop says there’s plenty of fresh water coming down the Richmond River. Most action is from the walls to the Burns Point Ferry on the run-in tide. Bream, whiting, flathead and some good blackfish are biting on yabbies, worms and prawns.
Plenty of mud crabs have been pushed down Emigrant Creek and the top of North Creek.
Seas are dropping so hopefully a few boats might be able to head out by Good Friday and a few more fishos might hit the beaches. Bream and whiting on the beaches and a few jew have been spun up on the walls with a couple of fish nudging 18kg. Soft plastics and hardbodies have accounted for fish and both walls are performing fairly well.
I’ve been in Brisbane producing the May issue of NSWFM so I have no idea what’s been happening at Evans Head. There should be fish in the river up to and maybe beyond the Iron Gates and the beaches should be quite fishable for bream, school jew and some whiting.
The bar was heavily built up with sand from the easterlies last time I saw it but if the swell is down, it would be worth hitting the reefs in the mornings for mackerel and in the evenings for snapper.
Tony Zann t.zann@fishingmonthly.com.au