Brett Hyde
Ballina Bait & Tackle,
Ballina West Shopping Centre
Ph: 02 6686 2527
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 09/05/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri May 09, 2014 5:41 pm

The weather looks like it is going to improve as the weekend goes on. Large seas over the last couple of days have meant that there hasn't been any offshore and very little beach fishing. Hopefully on Sunday the boaties can get out and hit some more mackerel hanging around on the close reefs. Riordans reef fired pretty well last weekend but there was still the odd fish hanging around off Lennox Point. Live baits and lures both had success so make sure you have a variety of options up your sleeve.

The rough conditions have made it tough but there should still be plenty of tailor and a few bream coming from the beaches later in the weekend. As usual the cut baits and pilchards will be the baits of choice.

The water temperature is still managing to hold and there have still been reasonable numbers of crabs in both creeks and the main river. Run in tide has still been slightly better, and will probably stay that way after this last little batch of rain.

The flathead have been fairly quiet with the cooler weather but we have had some quality bream and luderick along the rock walls in the lower reaches. Weed is tough to get so grab some cabbage from the rock platforms if the swell permits.

The bass seem to be responding well to spinnerbaits and hardbody lures and have been a little more aggressive late in the day as the weather heats up.

The mullet run has started so it will be worth checking out some of the deep holes behind the CBD for some larger mulloway over the next week or so. I hope all the mums have a top weekend and a very special day on Sunday.

Brett Hyde, Ballina Bait and Tackle
Ballina West Shopping Centre
02 6686 2527

EagleRock72

Re: Weekly Report 09/05/14

Post by EagleRock72 » Sun May 11, 2014 8:05 am

Thanks Brett, I have a weekend off so I am looking to head down Lennox/Ballina for a couple of days.

Do you think the beaches will be too rough around Tuesday/Wednesday?

Always a dampner ('excuse the pun') when you travel down and the guy at Burns Point Ferry says ' not much is been caught as the swell it too huge '.

What are the best options for beach/breakwall?

Look forward to stopping in form some tack, bait and advice if you feel it is suitable.

Regards EagleRock72

Nicole Penfold
Admin

Re: Weekly Report 09/05/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri May 16, 2014 4:17 pm

Sorry Eagle, Brett doesn't monitor this bulletin board -- I just post the reports on his behalf. If you give him a call on 02 6686 2527 I'm sure he'd be happy to have a chat and answer any questions you may have.

Cheers

Nic