Brett Hyde
Ballina Bait & Tackle,
Ballina West Shopping Centre
Ph: 02 6686 2527
Tony Zann
Reporter

15/6/06 Weekly Report

Post by Tony Zann » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:01 pm

Bruce at Dave’s Bait Shop says a lot of BREAM anglers have used the Richmond to pre-fish for the Clarence comp this weekend with fairly good results. The bream have been pretty fair and improving and pushing up river. Some flathead remain in the lower reaches and the whiting are still up at Broadwater, though their condition is getting pretty poor. Blackfish improving all week with some bag-limit catches and biting on green and black weed and cabbage. Jewfish around the walls and the Town Reach are going very well on lures and live baits with a good run of fish around 15kg.
Most of the tailor have been off the headlands but with the sea dropping a little they should move into the beach gutters.
No one has been anywhere near the bar all week but before the swell set in Riordans was starting to produce the odd nice red.
I’ve been in Brisbane for most of the week so I have no idea how Evans has been fishing of late. When I left there was a heap of wind and swell running and the boats hadn’t been near the bar for a few days. We did manage a few nice bream in the river last weekend but they shut down as soon as the day brightened. The beaches hadn’t been fishing too badly, especially for flatties and bream on soft plastics.