Rocks Marine Bait & Tackle
Ph: 02 6566 6726
rocksmarine@tsn.cc
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 27/11/08

Post by Tony Zann » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:53 pm

SOUTH WEST ROCKS:
We can’t get a break with the weather at the moment so the reports from outside are patchy. Around 60m off Scotts Head they are still catching trag and a few small snapper with the odd pearl perch. The current eased off a little last week with a few fishos venturing out to around 100m in uncomfortable conditions for a few reasonable bar cod. Fish Rock has small kings attacking baits with some bigger units out wider off the rock. I did have reports of a couple of cobia caught in close as well as small black marlin-free jumping off the Jail earlier in the week. The bait schools are plentiful around the bait grounds.
River fishos scored well with some nice flathead on the shallows through the Cut, with plastic baits working a treat. Good whiting have been about out of the same location. Finding a legal bream in the river is tough, with tons of small ones taking the bait. Up river around Smithtown and Kinchela seems to housing better bream with some nice whiting and the odd school jew. Two weeks ago I said the Taree pros were netting our river; this is not true, I do apologise. It is in fact the Coffs Harbour pros netting the flathead but after a call to Fisheries, sadly it’s all legal and nothing can be done.
Smoky Beach is fishing well for whiting but they are a smaller fish compared to some crackers in the river. There are a few bream about but they’re tough to catch in a strong sideways sweep. Gap Beach was quiet with only the odd whiting around. Once again Main Beach has been full of small whiting taking live worms.
Mark and Denise Bird and Paul and Michelle Martin , Rocks Marine Bait and Tackle 6566 6726, rocksmarine@tsn.cc