Mark & Denise Bird, Paul & Michelle Martin
Rocks Marine Bait & Tackle
Ph: 02 6566 6726
rocksmarine@tsn.cc
Tony Zann
Reporter

6/1/06 Weekly Report

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:22 am

It was a little damp last week but it hasn’t dampened the fishos’ enthusiasm at all with heaps of people wetting a line for some good results.
Our biggest problem is the red weed that is haunting all locations around town. There are fish in the weed but it’s tough fishing.
Smoky Beach has whiting and bream while Gap Beach also has whiting. Little Bay has a heap of weed on it but whiting still are available.
The river is fishing well with some cracker flathead coming in. Young Ben Jones landed his biggest going 2.8 kilo. Fishing the breakwall seems to be the go using live poddy mullet or herring. Bream and whiting are on the bite if you can put up with the weed. If you want to get away from the weed fish Kinchela and Smithtown for bream, whiting and flathead.
Fairly ordinary conditions outside made it uncomfortable but the guys braving the slop are being rewarded with early marlin up to 95 kilos and the occasional wahoo. There are plenty of mahi mahi around the FAD feeding on slimies and skirted lures. Bottom fishing is tough at the moment with some cold currents coming through. Morwong and the odd snapper are being picked up off most reefs.
Waterways are on the water in force over the holiday period so make sure your safety gear is current and up to date.
Take care on the bars.
Mark and Denise Bird and Paul and Michelle Martin , Rocks Marine Bait and Tackle 6566 6726, birds@tsn.cc

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:45 am

Thursday 5/1/06. Left Hat Head in the pouring rain. Had been there all week trying to get a line wet but weather and weed stopped us. Got out past the headland and set a course at 70 degrees and dropped the teaser and lures. About 3 hours into our trip we got smacked by a 11kg Dolphin fish. Did the fight and won. Dropped the teaser and lures back, at 12.00 we decided we would turn for hame at 12.30. At 12.32 it hit us. I was trying to stuff the dollie into the fish box when I heard the reel scream. I grabbed the rod and embedded the hook. I saw about 60m from the stern of the boat a marlin breach the surface. I have a bad shoulder and after 20 minutes could not hold on any longer. Bum took over and an hour and ten minutes later we had the beast beside the boat. We couldn't get it into the boat so we had to skull drag it back to the ramp. We took it to Hat Head Fising Clubs weigh station and had to cut it in half to weigh it. The tail was 45kg and the torso was off the scale. We took it back to Vince Jordans place and the beast weighed in at over 200kg. My and Bums first Blue Markin.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:38 am

Bex, your my bloody hero for killing such a majestic fish... :evil:
I hope you feel good about yourself!

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:52 am

wha wha...
dont kill marlin!
what are you going to do with a 200kg marlin? Eat it? A marlin that big would taste no good!
Just because it's his first marlin.....pffff, thats no excuse.

longliners/commercial are a whole different story... :evil:

i do hope thats the last marlin you take home Bex

14/1/05- just got back from SWR

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:33 pm

hey all,
i just got back from south west rocks...was there from the 30th. We could not get out becoz of bad weather but on wed we got out for the first time. Caught 3 marlin(tag and release) and plenty of dolphin fish and cobia all around the jail anywhere between 20-30 fathoms, sometimes not even that. Went out thursday and caught another marlin and a hammerhead. Also more dolys. Friday was another awsome day catching a 100kg black marlin just off the light house at 30 fathoms.
The marlin are deffinantly there u just have to look for the bait coming to the surface and fish around there...

Good luck hope i was helpfull

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:33 am

Fiesty_Fish, The facts are. We saw the marlin for the first time when it took the lure. The next time we saw it was when it came up beside the boat UPSIDE DOWN. It seems at the end of the struggle the fish had died. I suggest you get all the facts before you start ranting and raving. We took the fish as it was dead. We had every intention of releasing it if it was alive. I'm sure you would boast if you caught a large fish of some type, or, are you not a fisherman at all. If I catch another marlin it will definately be released (if it doesn't die in the struggle). Just for the record, the fish does taste good and the same has been said by everyone that has taken some of the meat from me and eaten it.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:17 am

well maybe next time you should state that the fish came up, upside down!
what did you get it on, 8kg line?
doesnt matter anymore mate, i dont care...

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:43 pm

As I have said previous. Before you get on your high horse, get the facts.
Bex

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:12 am

Keeping that fish as it was all but dead in my view was the best thing to do. You could have tried to swim it for 1/2 hr and try to revive it but it wouldnt have worked. I have had a Black Marlin come to the boat up side down, swam it for nearly 1/2 an hour and when i thought it was good to go and gave him a push, he just sank to the bottom. It would be better to keep and kill the fish rather than let it sink to the bottom and feed the sharks. I have caught 6 marlin and they have all gone back but I know 2 of them are now dead on the bottom because I was trying to do the right thing and realese them. So all you knobheads out there bagging out on guys that keep marlin should take a look in the mirror and wake up to yourself !!!!!!!!!!!!!