Mark & Denise Bird, Paul & Michelle Martin
Rocks Marine Bait & Tackle
Ph: 02 6566 6726
rocksmarine@tsn.cc
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 14/8/09

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:55 pm

A hint of warmer weather came early with some north-easters pushing the sea up a few metres early in the week. Once settled, fishos chasing snapper had no trouble getting a feed off Grassy from about 20 to 30 metres of water. There were some nice pearl perch caught out of the same area with one or two trag caught as well. Not so many leatherjackets about this week, maybe they have had their run and moved off. There were a few good tailor trolled up around Green Island with bream in the washes. A few snapper reported around Fish Rock among small rat kings and the odd fair fish. Out at The Dot, morwong and pearlies are on the bite.
We have had another slow week on the river. One day last week the blackfish were on the bite and the guys caught a good number on both tides; apart from that they are very patchy in their usual locations. There is still time for a run of these fish and the weed we have at the moment is top shelf. Bream were caught along the breakwall but there has been a lot of water between them. I fished behind Rainbow with an array of lures around the oysters without a hit and I reluctantly changed to whitebait and hooked a few flathead. Bring on the warmer water or improve my skills, one or the other! The North Wall produced some nice bream late afternoon but you had to work for them.
Gap Beach has been loaded with salmon with some 4kg-plus of fantastic fighting fun. Smoky has a few bream and dart with the odd salmon and tailor. Back Beach has a few small whiting and flathead at the mouth. Rockhoppers are getting salmon, tailor in small numbers, drummer and the odd bream.
Mark and Denise Bird and Paul and Michelle Martin , Rocks Marine Bait and Tackle 6566 6726, rocksmarine@tsn.cc