Mark & Denise Bird, Paul & Michelle Martin
Rocks Marine Bait & Tackle
Ph: 02 6566 6726
rocksmarine@tsn.cc
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 25/3/11

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:16 pm

This is how good it gets up here: Hayden and Donna from Newcastle hooked 10 wahoo to 21 kilo in one morning last week, releasing all but a couple they could not revive. Through the week they caught one marlin, spotted and Spanish mackerel and the odd cobia. I haven’t seen a run of wahoo like this before. Most are being caught from the Jail Grounds, Fish Rock and down to Hat Head. Trolled lures and skirts are doing the job. There were good numbers of spotties through the week of Grassy taking pilchards and trolled garfish with plenty of Spanish eager to take a lure. If it starts to slow up here head down to Hat Head and fish down to Point Plomer, it’s going off there as well. We still have nice warm current coming down with strong current out wide. The water has been between 24° and 25°. There are no slimies about but it’s not mattering at the moment there are plenty of fish coming in.
It has been a little slow out of the river there’s a few bream along the breakwall with the odd nice one towards the end of the wall. Pan-size flathead are about in various locations with the boaties getting more of the share. Land-based guys are getting a few bream and flathead in front of the tavern on pilchards and salted blue bait. Jerseyville has been producing some schoolies, flathead and the odd GT. You should get plenty of herring around the trawlers for some live bait.
Smoky Beach has dart coming in along with a few whiting and bream. Good fish are coming in off the ledges around the lighthouse and off the point at Hat Head.
Mark and Denise Bird and Paul and Michelle Martin
Rocks Marine Bait and Tackle
02 6566 6726
rocksmarine@tsn.cc

MOB

Re: Weekly Report 25/3/11

Post by MOB » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:19 pm

G'day,
I recently drove up to Hat Head to do some land based fishing from Sydney for two days after reading one of your reports. I met quite a few locals and they informed me nothing had been caught off the point in some time. The park manager also told me this. You often say spanish mackerel are being caught there, but many say none have been caught there for some years. PLEASE DON'T POST FALSE REPORTS TO INCREASE BUSINESS, as it can be quite costly and misleading.

dutchy

Post by dutchy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:57 pm

I know Mark and Denise very well and they would not lie or exaggerate about how good the fishing is there. I have been going to SWR for 15 years and have always found them to be friendly and helpful when in the shop. I moved to Coffs Harbour 7 years ago from Melbourne to be closer to SWR for the great fishing. Did you consider that the report was for boat fishing and not landbased! Regards Dirk from Iron Maiden

MOB

Post by MOB » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:46 pm

Good fish are coming in off the ledges around the lighthouse and off the point at Hat Head - 25/3

A few spanish and tuna are coming off the ledges at Hat Head - 18/3

Rockhoppers are pulling in some nice cobia at Hat Head - 11/2

Sounds like they mean off the rocks to me

adamkk

Post by adamkk » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:57 pm

You have been talking to the wrong people at Hat head if that is what they told you.

MOB

Post by MOB » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:53 pm

Well I spoke to a handfull of people. One I know through family who has lived there for over 15yrs and was renowned for landing fish there spinning raiders. Its funny, I heard more bogas rumours off Sydney-ites than any local!

kinghit

Post by kinghit » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:38 pm

I got back from SWR on sunday and we got heaps of spanish and spotties up to 8kg ,wahoo 14kg cobia 24kg plus some nice squire and pearlies,plus jigged up some small yellowfin tuna at a certain rock out off smokey.Heaps of people were getting fish so no lies.

Ben

Post by Ben » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:00 pm

Dear MOB

I've been fishing LBG for over 25 years at Greencape, JB, Hat Head & Tomaree just to name a few along the east coast & every year we do plenty of fishing & we've seen first hand that it is very easy to live somewhere & not hear how the fishing is, I have a group of friends that I get all my reports & updates from & they have an excellent finger on the pulse & even they don't hear of everything that happens on the rocks, unless you were on the rocks the day the fishing goes off or know someone that was, then its very easy to miss whats really going on, even if you live local.

I follow all Mark & Pauls reports & we drive up from Melbourne once a year with a boat to fish south west rocks & in the 6 years we've been fishing there we have found the reports to be 100% correct of what was being caught before we arrived & what has been caught while we were at South West, so in my opinion if you have tried fishing Hat Head with no luck for a weekend then perhaps you should try like the rest of us & put in a few hard weeks of fishing to catch your choosen species & earn your catch & not just expect it.

Regard

Ben