Mark & Denise Bird, Paul & Michelle Martin
Rocks Marine Bait & Tackle
Ph: 02 6566 6726
rocksmarine@tsn.cc
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 3/5/13

Post by Tony Zann » Fri May 03, 2013 2:53 pm

The weather gods were looking down on us for the last week of school holidays with perfect conditions and good numbers of fish coming in. Big spotties are off Grassy, which is usual coming into the end of the season. There were the odd Spanish caught but it’s tough with the shortage of slimies. On the bottom trag are in good numbers with pan-size snapper taking pilchards. Yellowfin to 6kg are around Fish Rock amongst some thumper kingfish. Pearl perch to 3kg are in 100m off Scotts Head along with some big trag.
There are loads of bream in the river at the moment, the drama is getting that’s legal. The breakwall is your best bet but be prepared to lose some gear; fish light and among the stones and oysters. A few flathead are in the mix with panners about in numbers. Bream and flathead are around Jerseyville with the odd schoolie jewfish.
Whiting are back on Smoky beach with dart and bream and I have had reports of the Hat Head end fishing well for jewfish if you can get a live bait out there. Off the rocks tailor are at North Smoky while good drummer and blackfish are in front of the Lighthouse and the Jail.
Mark and Denise Bird and Paul and Michelle Martin
Rocks Marine Bait and Tackle
02 6566 6726
rocksmarine@tsn.cc

stuey1153

Re: Weekly Report 3/5/13

Post by stuey1153 » Fri May 03, 2013 4:05 pm

Hi i dont know where this report is coming from but i just spent 4 days there this week and along with a lot of fisho's never turned a reel on a spottie at all fished hard for 1 pearl perch most boaties i spoke to never even got that ..i believe sometimes these report are not as accurate as they should be not good for out of town fisho's who really on these to plan a trip sorry to be negative but this is not the first time it has happened ..When you talk to people there they find it hard to understand some of these reports also

swanny

Post by swanny » Fri May 03, 2013 4:53 pm

Obviously not trying hard enough then

nowie

Post by nowie » Fri May 03, 2013 9:03 pm

u know this is just a guide to where the fish most likely to be are from most likely the week previous and a educated guess. and its also last few week of the spottie/spanish season so of course they would be patchy, not think like in feb/march. maybe you should of gave up on the spotties when you didn't get a run in the first few mins and if you can't see them in your burley trail they are clearly not there.... there is plenty of other spots and species to chase up there that what is great about the rocks

stuey1153

Post by stuey1153 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:27 am

apparently not lol must be me no doubt

Catcher450

Post by Catcher450 » Sat May 04, 2013 7:03 pm

I would also like to know where this report comes from. I live here and fish weekly. 27 boats went out Monday for a return of 1 spottie and 2 or 3 pan size snapper. I went among 20 odd boats off grassy over a few day in the last few weeks and haven't seen any more then a few spotties caught. The very occasional school has allowed "a" boat to get a decent catch. Even the local fish gurus are not giving the numbers of fish this report shows.

dogtooth

Post by dogtooth » Sun May 05, 2013 9:53 am

I fished the Monday and Tuesday both days were beautiful conditions , caught slimeys headed to grassy and didn't get a look from a spottie , neither did the boats around me so it was quieter than a library closed. Managed a few legal dolphin fish off the fad a a handful of kings out wide otherwise dead as .

1qaz2wsx

Post by 1qaz2wsx » Thu May 09, 2013 6:24 pm

I spent the week up to the 3rd fishing several times through the week, at the start of the week I got good bags of Spottys up to 7-8kg, also bagging a couple of Wahoo around the 13 kg mark fishing was typical of peak season, however after the weather change moved through on Thursday the bite was gone, this is typical of mackerel fishing in May! in defence of the report they would have received good reports through out the week up to the weather change. Lets all hope we get another good late run yet. "Tight lines fellas"