Mark & Denise Bird, Paul & Michelle Martin
Rocks Marine Bait & Tackle
Ph: 02 6566 6726
rocksmarine@tsn.cc
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 9/8/13

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:03 pm

Southerlies blew again late in the week with conditions on the water pretty ordinary. Fishing has been OK with the grounds off Grassy and Scotts producing trag, snapper and a few pearlies in 30-60m. As if the leatherjackets aren’t bad enough chopping your gear off; now there are stacks of green toads competing for your hardware. Last week there were bar cod in the deeper water with the odd gemfish reported. We really haven’t been hit with the cold water yet; hopefully the bigger snapper will become active when those currents come through.
What happened to our blackfish season? I know the pros got some very early in the season but it has been tough to get more than a couple. Bream are about along the walls with vibration blades working well. Up river flathead numbers are respectable between Jerseyville and Kinchela with a whiting or two around Smithtown.
Tailor and drummer are in good numbers off the rocks and the swell this week should only improve the fishing. The beaches around town again failed to fire, apart from a few Bream off Smoky and Gap.
Mark and Denise Bird and Paul and Michelle Martin
Rocks Marine Bait and Tackle
02 6566 6726
rocksmarine@tsn.cc

fun_2_fish

Re: Weekly Report 9/8/13

Post by fun_2_fish » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:17 pm

Yea!!!! What DID happen to the blackfish season at SWR. I spent 4 weeks there over the June/July period, and managed only a few dozen fish, the best outing was 8 fish, a very poor holiday when you consider that I have looked forward to it for 12 months. I have been going to SWR for 50 years and this was by far the worst effort!

What happened? Port Stephens, the Hastings, Manning, Wallis Lakes and Yamba were alive with Blackfish.

Was it he weather? Maybe the climatic conditions? Don't think so! The fish Co-op was full of blackfish fillets A staff member told me they were "embarrassed with the number, far too many". He further tried to explain that the pros were catching them in the shallows and backwaters, which I swallowed with the proverbial grain of salt! If they went up into the backwaters, they would have come into the river and we the anglers would have caught our share as they passed through.

The main reason is simple. They were caught off the beaches by the tonne. Reports of 16 tonne being caught they week before I arrived computes to (@4 to the kg) 64000 fish that did not find their way into the river. AND, other large and larger hauls reported whilst I was there.

That my dear friends is the answer, along with the ever increasing number of trappers and netters in the beautiful Macleay River.

fun_2_fish
(Denis)

Tony Zann
Reporter

Re: Weekly Report 9/8/13

Post by Tony Zann » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:52 pm

Hit the nail on the head there Denis.
There are at least two permanent net crews on Front Beach at SWR. How they're permitted to just squat there for most of the year is beyond everyone.
Woe betide a school of anything that rounds Laggers Point...