Mark & Denise Bird, Paul & Michelle Martin
Rocks Marine Bait & Tackle
Ph: 02 6566 6726
rocksmarine@tsn.cc
Tony Zann
Reporter

1/5/06 Weekly Report

Post by Tony Zann » Mon May 01, 2006 12:40 pm

Big swells last week greeted our fishos and slowed the wide fishermen down a little. It seems everybody struggled to get a fish.
The beaches were mostly blown out, with bigger seas making it difficult to fish. Ray and I had a go off Gap Beach and first throw with a worm went down the throat of a kilo-plus blackfish, which is unusual but I will take what I can get. No report of any tailor coming off the beaches.
Most of the action in the river was off the breakwall with John Smith landing a nice 22 kilo jew while Bob Laws hooked a 20 kilo jew a few days later. Some nice bream are about after dark but you need to use light gear. Flathead were tough apart from a few small panners. There are a few blackfish around but it’s near impossible to get weed.
No reports from the rockhoppers this week due to the big seas.
Spotties are not consistent but there has been the odd Spanish up north. There have been plenty of pan size snapper around so you shouldn't come home empty. Mahi mahi are about off the FAD but it’s uncomfortable out there. We weighed in two impressive 20 kilo-plus cobia Matt Simmons and his crew hooked. There have been a few yellowfin about with no size about them.