Jason and Virginia Isaac
Ned Kelly’s Bait and Tackle
Ph: 02 6583 8318
jas.ned@bigpond.com
Tony Zann
Reporter

Weekly Report 27/1/12

Post by Tony Zann » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:35 pm

Off the beaches, there are still plenty of mulloway on offer after dark, with the southern end of Lighthouse producing schoolies and the occasional larger model. Lighthouse has also produced a few bream, tailor and salmon, which are also on South Beach at Dunbogan. I guess we can assume salmon are now a year round proposition given their solid presence over recent weeks.
In the estuary, flathead numbers remain terrific, with plenty of 1kg-2kg fish. Best bait is whitebait and lure enthusiasts continue to achieve great results. Good numbers of whiting in Limeburners, around Pelican Island and Lake Cathie. Also in the river are plenty of garfish, with peeled prawns and bread working well, while a few nice bream have been in the lower reaches on bait and upstream on both surface and diving lures. While many are finding the blackfish tough, Back Channel has been producing a few on both yabbies and cabbage.
Off the rocks, some great tailor are about with Rob Atkins getting into some better than 3 kilos. Around Plomer, bream remain better than average, while the odd mulloway and blackfish are also on offer. The warm currents have finally turned up, so once the weather and sea conditions improve I expect a solid level of patronage at Hat Head and Point Perpendicular.
Offshore action has obviously been limited for the best part of a week now, much to the disappointment of most especially given the warm currents which have turned up in close and the accompanying rumours of Spanish mackerel in Barries Bay. Now is the time if this is your scene, however I expect you wont be alone once the seas settle. Wider out, snapper, pearl perch and teraglin remain in good numbers off Plomer, while the FAD continues to produce a steady stream of mahi mahi from juveniles to well above 10 kilos.
Jason and Virginia Isaac
Ned Kelly’s Bait and Tackle
(02) 6583 8318
jas.ned@bigpond.com