Great Lakes Tackle
Shop 1, 1-9 Manning St (Cnr Kent St)
Tuncurry 2428
Ph 6554 9541
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 17/11/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Estuary: The local Estuaries continue to be the jewel in the Great Lakes’ crown! The awesome fishing that we have experienced in Wallis Lake over the past month or so should only get better as we lead up to Xmas. Flathead continue to fish really well. Yes, there are a lot of smaller male fish to sift through before you come across one of the big girls but that is expected at this time of the year as they go through their spawning routine. The flats are really coming to life now, I was lucky enough to have a bit of a play in the shallows yesterday and there were plenty of Whiting and Bream to keep it interesting along with the odd Flathead and Long Tom. I was very pleased to see how much bait (Herring, Garfish, Mullet and Hardyheads) is scooting about in the estuary, definitely enough to get me excited about the summer Mulloway season. Trumpeter Whiting have teetered off a little now, mind you those in the know are still managing to bag out each trip.

Beaches: Even with these pesky easterly winds the beach fishing scene has been fantastic over the past week. There seems to be more and more Mulloway popping up every day. Most fish seem to be coming from the beaches up around Blackhead/Diamond Beach but I have also heard of a few being caught down south. Nice big Beach Worms, fresh Squid, Tailor Slabs or even the mighty Pilchard seem to be the baits of choice for these guys. Most beaches are now producing nice Whiting as well as continuing to produce some quality late season Bream.

Rocks: The local rocks remain locked in a state of limbo, just waiting for the game season to begin! In the meantime, these easterly winds have been providing just enough slop to make some nice little wash zones which have been holding some nice Luderick, Bream and the odd Black Drummer. Soaking a live bait isn’t a complete waste of time at this time of the year, there have been some quality Kingfish sneaking about the local headlands it’s just a matter of being in the right spot at the right time!

Offshore: Unfortunately, the weather continues to torment the offshore fishermen. There have been a couple of brief windows of opportunity this week and those that did manage to sneak out found the fishing fairly good. While there were no records broken, most boats managed to bag a good box of fish consisting of Snapper, Teraglin, the odd Pearl Perch and, of course, the ever reliable Flathead! The wide grounds are fishing pretty good as well at the moment, the deep droppers have found plenty of Bar Cod and there have been a few sneaky Marlin hooked down off Seal Rocks.

Have a great weekend!

Luke Austin.
Great Lakes Tackle – Tuncurry
Ph: 02 6554 9541
2013, 2014 and 2015 AFTA Finalists - Australia’s Best Bait & Tackle Store